Charging cable is not working after updating to iOS 10

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Myerla, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Myerla macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I am currently using the following cable to charge my iPad:
    http://www.fusechicken.com/products/titan

The cable is MFi certified and worked perfectly with iOS 9. Yesterday I have updated to iOS 10 and the cable started giving me headaches. I connect it to my iPad it shows that it's charging then drops me the "This accessory might not be supported" or "Not charging" in the top right corner.
    Do you guys have any ideas what may cause this issue? If so, is there any way to resolve this?

P.S. If I connect the cable to my iPhone (which is on iOS 9), it works perfectly
    Thanks in advance!

2. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Happens sometimes. I've had cables stop working after iOS updates. Only ones you can expect to always work are Apple's cables. That's the problem with Apple getting to say who can stay and who they're done with.

3. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I think Apple has altered the charging indication parameters, and it now has different expectations based on device.

I've been using the same genuine Apple Lighting cable (bundled with my iPhone 5) to sync devices to my Mac, via a powered USB hub. I have a separate dedicated desktop charger since my old Mac doesn't have high-powered ports.

So I mainly connect to the computer to sync, but will occasionally leave it connected to do a slower "top off" charge if I'm not in a hurry. Otherwise, I switch the cable connection to the charger to "fill up."

My iPad Air used to charge without complaint (albeit slowly, which I am aware of) when connected to my computer/hub. With iOS 10, it displays "Not Charging" in the status bar (even though it is charging slowly).

My iPhone 6+ does charge without complaint, as before. No change in behavior.

I believe that iOS 10 has been changed to reflect that iPads and other devices shipped with the >5W adapters demand a high-power source (even though they'll still charge slowly with less).

Devices that ship with the 5W sugar cube, like iPhones (even the 7) won't complain because they're still getting what they expect, even if they'll take more when given a higher-power source.

Your device/cable is still probably charging, but iOS 10 no longer acknowledges it.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Yes I have seen that many times even with a USB extension cord with a apple lighting cable plugged into it.

5. sunandsurf macrumors regular

Just wanted to say thanks for answering this; I hadn't even thought of this issue. I have both kinds of cables so at least now I won't freak out if I see that a device is not charging and simply switch cables.