Charging case (Edition) alternative.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Apples n' Stone, May 1, 2015.

1. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

I don't know about you guys, but for me the Edition is a Complete no for the first generation at least. Leaving the prospect that I may become a millionaire on a scratch card or strike lucky in the 2p machines I doubt I will own one.

Although, the charging case however I am interested in. Seen (as far As I am aware) no Edition Units have shipped I cannot seem to find that pristine charging case anywhere. I have seen the modifications people have made but on the chance it goes wrong I don't really want to make one myself. So does anybody know of a similar unit to the Edition charging case? Or if any Edition units have shipped and the case is available somewhere despite my web-trawling let me know. Thanks.

2. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

I'm actually having my factory design a charging box, similar to the one used by Apple with the Edition models. This won't be out for a while though, so your best bet is to find a classy looking charging stand that you can set on your bedside table.

3. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

That is interesting, my SS just sits in the top half of the box with the charger going under the loop (The  Watch logo is visible) by my bedside. Be sure to post some pictures when this is done? Thanks.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Will you consider 3D printing? Not exactly the same as the Edition case, but make one similar which able to fit your charge cable in should not be a problem.

5. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

Didn't think of that, then all I need is to quilt the inside (and try not to make a huge mess of it).

6. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I think that Apple should sell charging boxes as accessories.

7. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

They will. Just give them time to roll out the Edition so that it appears exclusive to their elite clientele. Then the charging boxes will appear for sale this Fall along with the $1500 gold clad/14K gold watch.

8. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

If they do that "gold clad" in rose gold, I'm all in.

9. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

As soon as I get the watch I'm going to have my son make me one out of Legos.

10. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I kind of don't think they will. It will be straight up yellow gold. To get rose you'll have to spring for the $10K.

You know, one thing that's disappointing about the Edition charging box is that the charging puck is the same silver metal ring that comes with the stainless watch. When I saw the difference between the plastic on the Sport and metal with the stainless, I thought for sure the Edition would be gold. But nope.

11. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

I made a dock for my iPhone out of Legos and I'm highly considering doing it for my watch, always been a Legos fan (never too old for them) and I think it would look cool!

12. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yeah. That was weird. I expected more, too.

----------

I may have to build myself one. The shipping times for docks suck.

13. iphone6fan macrumors regular

iphone6fan

As someone who has ordered an Edition I sure hope that they do not come out with a 14K gold any time soon.

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I bet they'll come out with "gold" and "rose gold" aluminum sport models first.

15. Wallabe, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

If Apple can make a gold Macbook, they certainly can do so with the Aluminum [sport watch]. The new Macbook looks really good in gold. I just wish it was the same update for MBA with retina in a gold housing. I still need ports.

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yeah. It's not quite the update I want yet.

17. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

That's what I've been thinking of doing, would it be possible for you to post a pic of it to see your design? Thanks!

18. J.gerbes, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015

J.gerbes macrumors 6502

The issue I have with the charging box is the dust. My current dock, which is aluminium, gets dusty. Cleaning it is easy, but I wouldn't think it would be so easy to clean a half-box with felt lining

19. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Sticker will do the trick.

20. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

True, but using a damp (or even dry) cloth to wipe down aluminium is so much easier

21. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

Is it actually the same? I read somewhere that this was space black SS? But probably just the light level in that case as I have not handled the edition myself. The Stone' is about two hours drive (traffic dependent) to the nearest Edition store so I won't be making the trip any time soon. Golden charging cable though, do like the idea.

----------

Do hope you are right about that, but the mighty question is which colour would suit the SS best? think I would have to go with the blue one as it would match my iPad/iPhone 6 Plus case.

22. jk4lebron23, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015

jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

For the iPhone dock? Sure, I'll try to find a picture. (Out of town atm)

Haven't started the watch dock yet.

Edit: found an old picture of the phone dock

Attached Files:

23. akonikui macrumors regular

I think you're right. At least in the dark blue Edition box, the charger is the black SS. I had an Edition try on appointment to scope out the box for modding my Watch one. The lighter boxes might have the regular metal charger.

24. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

The lighter boxes have the lighter charger.

25. akonikui macrumors regular

Has anyone already modded the SS box to mimic the Edition box?