Charging devices and issues (iPhone 3G)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by artofdesign, Aug 11, 2008.

1. artofdesign macrumors member

I have the charger that came with the iphone 3g, its plugged in behind the bed, I'm not going to take that with me when i leave the house.

I want to buy primarily a working vehicle charger, but also another in-home charger.

I know Apple offers a in home one at the online store, its way over-priced.

They PREVIOUSLY had the griffin travel vehicle charger listed under 3G compatible accessories, but not for a week or so now.

I have a older(6 months old) griffin vehicle charger, its not the round new style, its has a more oval shaped end to it. It works SOMETIMES. But sometimes it shows the fully charged icon in the small upper corner, but the battery is low and it doesn't charge...?

I also heard of someone buying some crappy ebay charger home and vehicle combo pack. they say it sucks, it does the same thing the old griffin one does, but way more often, in fact it almost never charges.

SO, whats your experiences with chargers?
    Whats the most in-expensive one that will ALWAYS work with the iphone 3g
    ?

Thanks in advance....

2. artofdesign thread starter macrumors member

3. artofdesign thread starter macrumors member

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

For chargers, look on eBay for any of the USB chargers. Car chargers are a little different, since many of them used to be Firewire Based, but the iPhone 3G removed the ability to charge over Firewire. The reason certain ones are not in the store, is that is is Apple's policy to only sell those accessories that are compatible with what they sell new today. Griffin makes an iTrip Auto that charges and gives you to option to play music through your FM radio. They also make a large number of car chargers, just take a look at their web site under iPhone 3G compatible.

http://www.griffintechnology.com

This includes both an AC and Auto charger
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerduo

And 3G accessories are here:
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/devices/iphone/iphone3g

TEG

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

6. artofdesign thread starter macrumors member

I have this one, it gives me trouble usually.

"I have a older(6 months old) griffin vehicle charger, its not the round new style, its has a more oval shaped end to it. It works SOMETIMES. But sometimes it shows the fully charged icon in the small upper corner, but the battery is low and it doesn't charge...?"

7. artofdesign thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the info, truly.

But I need you guys to tell me what you are using to charge ur 3G phone. I have the griffin(2 of them) and they don't work!

Please, my phone died at work to today and that shuts me down, I need a vehicle charger bad!

8. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

My friend and I both have the PowerJolt and both of ours work perfectly. I don't know what else to tell you.

9. artofdesign thread starter macrumors member

10. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

11. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

12. M0bile macrumors regular

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

We just explained why. They are charging via Firewire, and the 3G doesn't support it. Anything on the Apple Store site will be compatible, otherwise they wouldn't sell it. Also, the new iTrip for iPhone uses USB so it is not a worry, nor is the PowerJolt.

TEG