Charging from 5V external batteries or USB chargers?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by grandall, Apr 14, 2015.

1. grandall macrumors newbie

Has anyone here tried charging from an external battery or a USB charger such as an iPad charger? There's an article on Techcrunch that reports that it will work very slowly (see http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/13/ch...-battery-pack-with-monoprices-10-usb-c-cable/), but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has found any chargers or batteries to either work or not. I'll try it myself once I get the right cable later this week.

2. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

it says
    For instance, I gained only about 5% in just under half-an-hour with power off

so a full charge would take 10 hours? wait, 10 hours isn't the designed battery life? you know what I'm saying

3. hypno macrumors regular

Does the battery in the Macbook not correlate with the batter in say an iPhone 6 +? For example my MBR shows 5249 mAh and I believe my 6+ is 2915 mAh. My 6+ can charge fully in like under 2 hours on the iPad charger when it is powered off. That makes me think the MBR at not even 2x the mAh should gain a little more than 5% in 30 minutes when powered off.

Clearly I'm missing something?

4. Dekimasu macrumors regular

I read something similar in Japanese: went up 5% after a while, but only with the computer off.

5. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

guess they used a 1A charger?

even with maximum output for usual battery, 5V 2.4A, it's just 12w. the original charger is 29w. it's like 2.5X powerful. don't expect too much lol

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

It'll be super slow. Better wait for some more powerful backup batteries to hit the market made specifically for charging this Mac over USB-C.