Charging iOS devices with Macbook charger

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by melb00m, Apr 23, 2015.

1. melb00m, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

melb00m macrumors regular

Although there's currently no USB-C to Lightning cable available, I was wondering if you still can charge iOS devices using the Macbook charger => USB-C to USB A female adapter => Lightning cable => iPhone/iPad.

In other words, does the included charger support 5V or 12V output as required by iPhone or iPad? This way you wouldn't need another power plug when travelling.

2. newellj macrumors 601

The Apple specs list it as dual voltage. Since it has a 5.2V output as well as 14.5V, I would be shocked it if won't safely charge an iPhone or iPad with the appropriate adapters and cords, but I don't know anyone who's actually done it so proceed at your own risk. ;)

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Yes. I have a USB-C to USB adapter. Anything I plug into the USB port will charge off the rMB. When I plug in my iPhone 6 the phone charges. Same goes for my iPad.

4. melb00m thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I will, unfortunately my machine has not shipped yet...

I don't want to charge the iPhone from the Macbook, but the wall plug included with the Macbook. This way I won't have to carry to chargers.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Ah, sorry for the incorrect reply. I just checked and yes it does charge the iPhone. But, I don't know if there are any outstanding issues with using that brick for an iPhone due to the extra power. I don't think there is. I use the iPad charger to charge my iPhone all the time with no problems at all.