Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I bought an iPad 3 (64GB/4G) recently and was a bit set off by the long time it needed to charge for the first and the second time. The power adapter got rather hot. Then I used the charging device of my "old" iPad 2 and I think it was much faster! The power adapter device looks complete the same as the new charger and all the text (technical data, 10W…) on it is the same (except the model number).

Maybe I should have some complete uncharging and full charging cycles first and make another test then. Maybe the new power adapter is defect.

Photo of the two devices in the attachment. Mind it's an European model (Austria). Edit: I mixed up the text on the photo. The above is shipped with iPad 3 and the below with iPad 2.

Attachments

• ipad2-3-power-adapter.JPG
    ipad2-3-power-adapter.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 1,760

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Thanks for your confirmations. So I am pretty sure that the new charger is defect. It becomes MUCH hotter than the old one and needs two hours to charge +10%. I'll call Apple tomorrow.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
The new battery is just a tad larger than the old battery. Charging does seem to take far longer than it should. I drained my battery to 10%, and after four hours of continuous charging it was at just 75%. My iPad 2 would fully charge in under than three hours.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Physically the new battery may be just a tad larger, but capacity-wise it is significantly larger.

And this is amazing. Has anyone around here been talking about the implications of this "magic" act, or does significantly increasing battery time without increasing size just not impress like it used to? :)

For instance, will the next gen MacBooks have nearly double the battery life under a similar load as today's machines, too? Or what about the next iPhone and LTE? I should be expecting the same or better battery life as the 4/4S. Good stuff!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.