Charging iPad (3rd Gen) with iPhone Charger (UK)

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lazer90210, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Lazer90210 macrumors newbie

Just purchased my new iPad (3rd Gen) and noticed it comes with a much larger mains charger transformer plug:

[​IMG]

... than the iPhone 4 mains charger plug.

[​IMG]

My question is, can you charge the new iPad with an iPhone 4 charger, or will it damage your battery. Conversely, can you charge an iPhone 4 with the iPad charger, or will that damage the iPhone 4 battery?

2. Dr FranknFurter macrumors member

The lager plug supplied with the new iPad is a 10w charger. The iPhone/iPod smaller charger is a 5w charger. The 5w charger will charge the iPad but at a very slow rate (in fact it says 'not chaging' on the battery symbol even though it is charging.

The 10w will charge your iPhone at a faster rate and it gets warm. It may slightly if used all the time degrade the battery but that's up for debate.

3. apple4kim macrumors member

apple4kim

need the big charger. new iPad consumes battery like a monster.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

This isn't specific to the new iPad, every iPad has shipped with a 10W charger.

These days there's no risk of damage to either the iPhone's or iPad's batteries if you swith chargers, the only discernible difference is that teh iPad, in needing a higher wattage charger will charge exceptionally slowly.

5. DigitalJunior macrumors member

My iPad charger has just stopped working. Plugged in all night and still on 2% that I left it at. So forced to use an iPod charger which is charging but slowly.

Apple are sending out a replacement in the post.