Charging iPad while in-use

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shellbryson, Mar 18, 2012.

1. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Noticed that newPad doesn't appear to charge at all well from USB while being used. Tried a number of older chargers out of curiosity: stock iPod charger & iPhone 4 charger (both 5v 1a) result is power drain while iPad in use, and several hours to charge while not in use. iPad 10w (5.1v 2.1a) charged very slowly while iPad is in use.

I hope some faster chargers appear.

2. noobinator macrumors 601

Do you sleep ever? Problem solved

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

There are several threads about this already. It will charge faster when not in use. Charging while you sleep or take a break works well though slower than previous iPads as the battery is larger and is using the same capacity charger.

Enjoy!

4. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

This has been mentioned before. The battery in the new ipad is 70% larger than the previous model. Therefore it does take a lot longer to charge. I would definitely NOT charge the ipad with iphone charger. Also I just charged mine overnight.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Yeah this seems to be a common problem.

The 10W charger is to small and should never have shipped with a device with a 42.5whr battery.

Last night I was playing games with the iPad plugged into the wall with the iPad charger. It dropped from 5% down to 4%, then back up to 5%. After an hour it climbed to 6%. Terrible charging.

6. shellbryson thread starter macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Between work & 10 week old daughter, not so much ;)

7. noobinator macrumors 601

In that case buy a backup iPad to use while the others charging. :D

8. mmacc macrumors member

I've been using the Logitech speaker stand that I got a couple of days ago from Amazon.com. I'm extremely happy with this stand and it cost about $49.

As long as it's plugged in your iPad will always be charged at 100% whether it's being used or not.

This speaker stand can tilt and rotate your new ipad3 in several positions.

It also uses two small speakers that are a whole lot better than what the Ipad3 uses. It's all built into one small speaker stand.

If you do get it (and I highly recommend it) go to Settings/Music/EQ/ and set it for small speakers.