Charging iPhone 6Plus Using Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by salmankhan, Oct 25, 2014.

1. salmankhan macrumors member

salmankhan

Well guys, as the title states, i am mostly charging my iPhone via my retina macbook pro because i am always on the move so it becomes more convenient for me to just hook it up to my macbook pro... anyways the question here is, Will charging an iPhone via macbook has any long term effect on the iPhone Battery ? Is it Safe ??
    thanks..
    (apologies for asking such a noob question though)

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

100% completely safe.

Unless you use too long a cable and trip over it. Or you forget the phone's plugged in when you pick up the computer to walk across the room. But those are user errors, not related to charging. :D

3. salmankhan thread starter macrumors member

salmankhan

hahaha well said ... but i am quite careful when it comes to committing such errors ..anyways Thanks alot for your valuable input mate :)

4. newellj macrumors 601

Obvious point, but if the MacBook isn't plugged in you are charging the iPhone from the MacBook battery with no compensating charge.

5. salmankhan thread starter macrumors member

salmankhan

Indeed. And what do you mean by no compensating charge ?

6. newellj macrumors 601

What I meant was if the MacBook wasn't on its own charger. Could have been clearer... ;)

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if it was harmful to the phone, don't you think apple would stop dumping extra power to your iPhone??

i mean come on. apple limits your volume in iTunes so you can't turn up the volume too much to ruin your mac book pro speakers.

i learned about that when reading about VLC audio boost

if you connect an iPhone 6 to a mac book pro. it gives it 500 Ma plus 1600 ma extra current. if it detects an iPad its the same thing. if it detects an iPhone 5s or lower, it gives it 500 ma plus 500 extra

you can see this in about this mac, system report, usb

as far as i know its 500 + 500 for an iPhone 5. i might be wrong about the 5s, i never owned one