Charging iPhone 6s - iPad charger vs QC Powerbank

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by f0ku5, Aug 13, 2016.

1. f0ku5 macrumors member

Hello guys!
    I have one question but I don't know if you will understand me because english isn't my primary language ;-)

I know that I can charge my iPhone faster by using iPad charger, but I don't have one. Instead I have very good power bank (Xiaomi 20000 mAh) that have ability to charge faster because of Quick Charge technology.
    I know that that iPhone's don't have Quick Charge technology, but will using this power bank will give me the same result as using iPad charger?

2. HEK, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016

HEK Suspended

HEK

What is the wattage or amp output. 20000 mAh is the storage capacity, not the output.
    The iPad power adapter puts out 2.1 amps, 12 watts.

3. f0ku5 thread starter macrumors member

I know that 20000 mAh is just storage capacity, I just wanted to tell you which power bank I have :)
    The output is 5.1V/2.1A, max 3.6A

4. HEK Suspended

HEK

By the numbers it sounds like it would charge your iPhone faster than the stock 1 amp cube power adapter that comes with the phone. Easiest way to find out is use it, and time the charge.

My iPad power adapter increases my iPhone 6s Plus by one percent per minute when the iPhone battery is between 0% and 70%. After that the charger circuit in the iPhone reduces the amount of amps it draws until at 100% battery capacity it draws only a trickle charge which it turns on and off.

5. f0ku5 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I guess that I need to run some tests on my own and compare them

6. HEK Suspended

HEK

Part I don't understand is, isn't the unit you are talking about a battery pack? Don't you have to plug it in to charge it up? So you plug in one battery to charge another battery. Seems like an extra step.

7. f0ku5 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it is a battery pack, but now I don't understand you. Of course I don't want to charge my iPhone from it when I'm home, I'm just using it when I'm away and I don't have possibility to use wall charger.
    I was just asking if my power bank can charge my iPhone faster (like iPad charger), that's all :)

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't know about this particular unit but I have charged a battery bank and a phone simultaneously before. Plug the bank into the wall outlet and the phone into the bank. Worked just fine. I have a (now ancient) Zagg sparq 2.0

9. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

If you're using the regular 6s, as I am, I haven't been able to get faster charging rates using the iPad power adapter, quick charge capable power adapter, or a higher amperage output battery bank. The previous gen 6 fast charged, as do the plus models, but I haven't had success with the regular 6s. Not anything noticeable at least.

10. f0ku5 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I'm able to do that, thanks for the tip! :)
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2016 ---
    That's a shame if it's true too in case of my iPhone...