Charging iPhone and Running Apps...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Collin789, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

When I use my iPhone 4 to tether using MyWi, I eventually have to plug it in to charge. As my phone charges I start to notice that the phone gets really hot. I know this is the battery getting hot and I was wondering if I shouldn't charge my iPhone and tether at the same time...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its fine to do this. If the battery gets too hot, it'll stop charging. And if it gets still hotter, the iPhone will protect itself by going into "Overheat Mode".

3. victorvu macrumors member

how hot was it? it's perfectly normal if the phone is warm during charging.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The phone will protect it self from overheating if it gets to hot, so there is no need to worry. A little warmth is normal with electronic devices with batteries.

5. Collin789 thread starter macrumors regular

Collin789

It gets pretty hot. It doesn't do this unless I'm running an app like MyWi. I just didn't know if that was putting a lot of strain on the battery.

6. victorvu macrumors member

Like others have said, you should not worry about it. But obviously, if battery gets too hot for an extent period of time, it'll gradually decrease its capacity (the same thing you left your cell phone in a car during summer). Anyways, have you tried to charge it with official wall adapter, or via computer USB port?

7. Collin789 thread starter macrumors regular

Collin789

Usually the only place I use MyWi is in the car and I use a car charger. Sometimes I'll use my computer to charge, but most of the time I just use the car charger. If I'm normally charging my phone I use the wall charger.