Charging iPhone from Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eighteesix, Feb 10, 2012.

1. eighteesix macrumors newbie

My friends have 15" Macbook Pros. When their laptops are closed, with the white sleep light on, they charge their iPhones no problem. My 13" MBP does not do this when the lid is closed (in sleep OR hibernation). Anyone know why?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

does your friend have anything installed to make it not sleep when closing the lid?

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I think it's a matter of whether the MBP is plugged in at the time or not. I haven't tried to charge my phone on my 15" MBP when it isn't plugged in, but I know it works when it is plugged in. I'm guessing the ports aren't powered if it's asleep and running off the battery.

4. Jazojas12, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

Jazojas12 macrumors regular

With mine if the phone is plugged in then I close the lid it continues to charge. If I plug it in after the lid is closed it does nothing. If the power plug is in, it charges either way.

Early 2011 13" MBP

5. shthap3ns macrumors newbie

I'm super late to this party but my RMBP used to do this. After I upgraded to Mountain Lion, it stopped. Sure would love to have it back. I've been reading mixed reports with some people saying it's not supposed to work after you close the lid -- but I swear mine worked just like yours, without the help of any no-sleep programs.

Anyone have any insight?

6. StevenOhYesss macrumors newbie

i have the MacBook Pro with retina and at first i noticed my iphone 5 and iPad would not charge while my Mac slept. Buuut if you have the Macbook pro plugged in its charger then it works fine. I guess the usb ports go to sleep with the MBP if its not charging itself.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

my 2007 15" MBP with ML 10.8.3 plugged in and will charge my iPhone 4s with MBP lid closed and sleep. :apple:

8. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

My rMBP charges my iPhone when the lid is closed as well. No special programs or tweaks required.

9. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

Hate to bring back an ancient thread but I find if you plug the iPhone in on a closed lid/unplugged macbook pro (in my case retina 15"), it won't charge but keep it plugged in and open the lid just a little, wait until the phone starts charging, and then close it, the iPhone will keep charging with the lid closed forever but the laptop seems to go back to sleep.

Anyone know how to skip the lid opening and just keep the USB port active?

10. marcr1230 macrumors newbie

In preferences there is a energy / power dialog, check the "don't let computer sleep when lid is closed" this keeps the USB ports powered

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

FWIW, my MBP seems to be able to charge my phone while its in sleep mode. Not sure why, but it has come in handy.