Charging iPhone from Macbook Vs. Wall Charger ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shopsmart99, Mar 29, 2010.

1. shopsmart99 macrumors member

Does the iPhone charge just as well from a Macbook Pro
    Vs. Wall charger or Car Charger ?

I have been charging my iPhone from a Macbook Pro and
    it just wasn't getting much juice from that.....

Any ideas ?

2. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I find it takes longer for a full charge from the computer than directly out of the wall, but there should be no difference in capacity

3. shopsmart99 thread starter macrumors member

Don't know if they are the same, but my HTC Hero Android phone
    can't even charge from the USB port on my Macbook Pro!
    Just gives a tiny charge, but dies when i'm plugged in and talking on the phone!

4. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Sounds strange, you could try charging via usb on someone elses computer? if it works there it sounds like something on the macbook pro thats wrong. Im just guessing tho

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

How low is your battery when charging? If the power output is greater than the power input, the phone will run out of juice.

6. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I charge my iphone 3G through usb on my MacBook Pro every night and don't have any problems maintaining adequate battery levels throughout the day. I need to have my MacBook Pro plugged in and charging in order for the iphone to charge....maybe that's your problem. You could also let the iphone battery completely die and leave it shut down for a few hours and do a full charge....I think that's called calibrating your battery.

7. shopsmart99 thread starter macrumors member

thanks. I just think the HTC Hero Android's Battery life sucks
    right now.
    Hopefully it will get better in the next version....

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Not sure what the specifics are but one of the USB ports on the MBP supplies less power. I believe it's the one closer to the back. That could be your issue.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Welcome to multitasking? :p

10. evan.ksu macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I also have witnessed the same problem recently. Not too long ago, I switched from a Droid Incredible to an iPhone 4S and have been nothing but completely satisfied. I have had many times where I have actually tried to run my battery completely dead so I can get a full recharge, as this is recommended to keep your battery in shape to hold a better charge. However, I will admit that it is truly hard to run your battery dead in an iPhone 4S in a complete day.

I usually start using mine at 8:30 in the morning and often times dont stop using it until 2:00 am, a full 18 hours after that, and I do use apps on my phone all day long. This phone simply has awesome battery power and that is a definite plus that I am okay with!

However, I came up to visit New York this week and I have been charging it off of my MBP because it has allowed me to keep my phone closer to my bed. However, I have noticed the next day that with the charge from the MacBook Pro, my battery doesn't hold its power near even half as much as it does when I charge it every night from the wall charge.

I will say that I have noticed an extreme difference in battery life with charging in a wall vs. charging from the MBP. I would highly recommend charging solely form the wall unless you absolutely have to charge from your computer, as I have noticed that this keeps your battery charged for MUCH longer.

Hope this helps with your question. :D

11. 66gonzo macrumors member

That's funny. I've recently noticed that with my iphone 5. I get some AWESOME battery life out of the wall charger (8 hours, 50 minutes usage and 1 day, 3 hours of standby), but from the computer the life has shown to be about half. I wonder if it is something that has been a big cause for all the trouble with the "battery life issues" of the 5.