Charging iPhone with case on, bad or good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by divang, Aug 11, 2008.

1. divang macrumors member

Just wanted to get everyones experience or thoughts on charging the iPhone while it's in a case?

I've already read on apple that charging the ipod that you should remove it from the case as to get rid of excess heat.

Has anyone noticed any extra heat from the phone while charging with a case on? I never really noticed if my phone got hot in the past while charging.

The case I have isn't the EASIEST to take on and off so I'd rather not take if on and off if I had too. I'd rather just not use the case at all if it's going to be a problem.

Also would using the computer usb vs the normal outlet cause more heat when charging then one another?

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

My iPhone doesn't even get warm while charging. I charge it in the case.

3. divang thread starter macrumors member

Ah I see thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any experience with it on and off the case?

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I charge my phone in the case and at the same time stream all night with it. No problem.

5. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

I charge me in a case, never really seems to get to warm..

6. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Heat has a tremendous impact on your battery. I always charge my phone out of its case. The most important part of charging is the location you are charging. Always charge in a cool location, especially out of direct sunlight.

7. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

If it gets hot then take it out.. If not.. well then leave it in the case.

I always charge mine in a dock though

8. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

This thread is called "having too much free time".

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would only worry about it if you feel it getting too hot while charging, not just warm, but hot. So unless if you notice this, then don't worry about it. But if you do notice it getting hot, then take it out and let it cool down, and I would recommend taking it out every once in a while to make sure no sand or dirt got in there.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've charged in the dock, in the case and by itself. Still no burning or FIRES, yet! :eek:

11. divang thread starter macrumors member

Yea Im not sure if i remember noticing it getting warm before I even got the case while charging. So I was wondering how everyone elses temp is while charging currently without a case.

12. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

My iPhone gets "warm", not hot. Still though, you want to charge your phone out of its case so it can breath. On top of that, charging your phone by an AC vent or a nearby fan can also go a long way. The heat associated with charging can deteriorate your battery MUCH quicker than if you keep the phone cool. I'm talking 10 - 20 percent less capacity...not some miniscule number. Some may call it extreme to do this, but since there's no user replaceable battery, I'm doing everything I can to prolong the life of the battery. I created a thread just for these types of questions, take a look here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=525741