Charging iPhone With iPad Charger, Is It Safe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Konvictz, Oct 18, 2014.

?

Safe To Charge iPhone With iPad Charger?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    90.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Konvictz macrumors regular

Look I know there are some other posts and topics about this, but they are filled with unnecessary info and opinions and probably distorted views.

So obviously the iPhone 6 plus does charge quicker with the iPad charger, my question is, is it safe to do this?

Yes or No?

2. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

I know most people will say yes or no. I'll say yes, but will also mention two things. Firstly I've been using an iPad charger on my 6 Plus and so far, no problems. But the main reason why I say it's safe, is because Apple says so as well. The Apple Store website shows the iPad charger as being compatible with the iPhone.

3. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Definitely 'safe', obviously will be just as capable/safe as a 5W included charger. With the obvious benefit being the iPad charger will charge more quickly.

However, some point out that this extra charging capacity (that is often not needed, especially when charging overnight) is not good for your iPhone in the long run. During the day, etc., I wouldn't hesitate to use the iPad charger, but as far as nightly charging I think it's more safe to use the included 5W charger to preserve the battery capacity and its ability to hold a charge.

4. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

5. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I use the 12W iPad Air charger with my Plus all the time.

6. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

Beware of latent super-capacitive discharge after charging with such a high current charger. The excess amperage may in rare circumstances collect in a small magnetosphere surrounding the phone. Unplug the charger cable and the sphere will normally collapse on itself uneventfully. Yet if the battery has not undergone sufficient cycling, it's innate resistance will impede collapse. As a supercharged magnetosphere must collapse when power is withdrawn, it will collapse into the next available field: your hand. The cool part is that a quantum temporal shift results in your hand being vaporized before the magnetosphere actually collapses into the space previously occupied by it.

Don't worry, there's only 5 confirmed instances since 2010, and all of them have been in my fevered imagination. ;)

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Well if you plug the iPhone 6/6+ into a mac, it defaults to 2100mA charging, and there's no option to configure that. So I assume Apple decided the extra current is safe

9. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

So do I, no issues whatsoever.

10. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Yes, but they'll usually only pull to about 6w (which is higher than the rating of the regular iPhone and iPod chargers).

If you're using an iPad charger with your iPhone 6, it will pull about 7 or 8w out of the 12.5w rating of the newest iPad chargers.

So it's not going to instantly charge your iPhone, but it will charge it slightly faster.

The YouTube video that I watched seems to indicate that it's only the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus that benefit in any way from using an iPad charger, although previous iPhones can safely use an iPad charger.

11. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Yes you can use it safely

No, it won't do any damage.

Yes, it will charge the iPhone 6 faster.

The phone will pull as much current at it needs. When it's full it will stop so you can safely ignore all those people saying the extra charge will damage it.

Plug it into an iPad charger overnight. It will do zero damage.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I want commenting on charging speed, just answering the OPs question about safety.

13. Fozamo macrumors member

No. I charged my iPhone 5 with an iPad charger and the battery turned crazy (70% to 40% in 5 minutes) and the phone turned off with around 17%. Got a new battery and sold it on eBay. Just use iPhone charger, why risk the battery?;)

14. cababah macrumors 68000

There is no risk if you understand how the "charging" process works.

15. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

A poll? This isn't a matter of opinion. It's a fact that it's safe, and Apple says so.

All you're doing with a poll is perpetuating any doubt. The next person who googles the question is going to see a link to this thread and the poll results, which show that 5 people have no clue as of this writing.

If you are looking for a definitive answer and to bypass "unnecessary info and opinions and probably distorted views" then have a mod close the thread and make a new one with the link above to Apple's official answer.