Charging iPod Touch 64GB vs Original iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by asmallchild, Dec 12, 2009.

1. asmallchild macrumors regular

Do these two iPods have different accessory requirements?

I bought the 16GB iPod Touch when it first came out two years ago around Thanksgiving I believe, phenomenal device.

Recently had an Apple gift card and while I didn't have a pressing need for another iPod Touch, the card was going to expire and I ended up picking up a 64GB iPod Touch, again phenomenal. I could be hallucinating but I'm noticing a fairly significant increase in the overall speed of the device.

That being said, are the accessories different? I tried using the wall charger and it wouldn't charge my iPod Touch 64GB.

I have an iPod mount in my car as well and while I can still play music on my iPod Touch 64GB through the car stereo system with the mount, it ALSO wouldn't charge my new iPod.

What gives? I can only charge the new iPod by hooking it up to the USB slot of my Mac? :confused:

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

There were changes made to which pins were used in the 30pin dock connector for charging.

3. asmallchild thread starter macrumors regular

that's so weird, i was able to charge my 64gb ipod touch with a usb cable from my old ipod touch

computer charging only i guess??

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Support for charging via firewire was dropped from iPods about a year ago. It is possible that your accessories use the firewire standard rather than USB, which would explain why it only charges the older device.

5. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Yeah this may be the problem with your accessories...they dropped firewire charging like 1.5-2 years back (?)..

6. Moocher macrumors regular

I have the same Touches you do, 16 1g and 64 3g. Yes, they did change it as the answers above indicate. Be sure that any new chargers you buy say they will charge the iPhone 3gs and you'll be fine. But you will have to buy new chargers unless the old ones allow you to use the new charging/sync cable that came with your new touch. Think of it as a chance to buy better stuff than the first time.

Mooch

7. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

WTF does Firewire have to do with any iPod Touch? Old iPods used to have firewire support, but not any iPod Touch model.

I ran into this thread because I'm trying to figure out why my 1st Gen iPod Touch started overheating when I plugged it into my WRX's USB port. I got control of the iPod Touch through the stock stereo, but the Touch itself started getting very hot and it clearly wasn't charging (still in the low battery red zone after 15 minutes while it charged up to 1/3 full in 10 minutes when I got home and plugged it in via a USB outlet charger).

I haven't tried my 4th Gen iPod Touch in the car yet (although I did use its USB adapter in the car since my 1st gen adapter is plugged into my PowerMac in the back, but I've used that same cable to sync and charge BOTH iPod Touches with my PowerMac so if a pinout changed occurred somewhere between the 1st Gen and 4th Gen iPod models as one poster suggested, how in the world did the 4th gen Touch charge off both my old 1st gen cable AND my 3rd party accessory wall charger? It doesn't add up.

I'll have to try the 4th gen Touch in the car and see if it overheats next, I suppose. I don't really use it in the car anyway (first time I tried) since I normally use a USB memory stick loaded by folder in the car so I can leave it in all the time and not have to worry about whether I have an IPod with me or not.

8. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Only the first generation iPod touch could be charged via FireWire.