Charging iPod touch with FireWire in my car audio system

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by wendellg85, Sep 1, 2009.

1. wendellg85 macrumors newbie

I have an Infiniti with a sound system that supports iPod integration. Sorry I don't know the techincal term for it but it is a data connection rather than a AUX line in, if that makes sense. I know it uses FireWire. So my old nano worked just fine, you could connect and charge at the same time and control the iPod from the audio system in the car. Now with the iPod touch I can still connect into the audio system but it will no longer charge my iPod. I understand that the iPod touch doesn't support FireWire so this is the problem.

Any ideas what I can do? It's a shame to have a $50k car and a $400 iPod and can't listen and charge at the same time. What good is the iPod once the battery goes dead, and I really don't want to have to remember to take it in the house to charge it every day. I guess I could also charge with the cig lighter and use the AUX line in like the old days but that defeats the point of the integrated system.

Help!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's not surprising; the integrated audio and GPS systems tend to be a pain to keep up. They may be fine when the are first produced and sold but keeping them current never works well.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

4. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

There is some kind of converter you can buy that will allow it to charge. If you just purchased you ipod I would return it now as new ones are going to be released next week and most likely at a lower price point.

5. Bob Chadwick macrumors member