Charging iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by i-Want-Apples, Apr 16, 2009.

  1. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #1
    So I started using my iPod on Tuesday and I've charged it on Wednesday and today, but I had a few questions.

    1. How can I actually tell when the iPod touch is done charging? I tried leaving it charging for longer than I thought it would take yesterday, but the lightning bolt never leaves the little battery, so to me I thought that meant it was still charging, is that not the case?

    2. The battery icon on my iPod touch never appears to be completely full. When charging and the large icon is on the screen there is still some space left that is not green, about the same thickness of the silver part of the battery icon, I was just wondering if that is normal, I don't recall it with my first iPod and the battery life does seem extra short on this iPod compared to my last one, but I may be imagining it.

    Thanks so much!
     
  2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #2
    The iPod is done charging when the lighting bolt changes to a plug.

    How long are you charging the iPod for? The battery icon should be completely full when it is done charging.
     
  3. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #3

    Thanks, I will keep it plugged in longer and see what happens.

    Yesterday I had it plugged in for over two hours, today it is almost two hours again and that is all the further it has gone, thus far anyway. It seemed to slowly increase in capacity while it charged, but once it get to that point it just stops. I will leave it charging and see what happens, maybe I just didn't keep it plugged in long enough yesterday, but I wasn't paying that close of attention to how long it was.
     
  4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #4
    I would try charging it overnight to see if it is fully charged by the next day. If it isn't then there may be a problem with the iPod battery. If it is fully charged then you shouldn't have any problems. Charging the battery does take a long time though, so you have to be patient.
     
  5. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #5
    Thanks, I will give it a try and see what happens. I was just trying to watch how long I left it charged to prevent any overheating... I thought I read somewhere that two hours was the norm for the charge, so that is what I was going by.

    Thanks again!
     
  6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

    Ivan P

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Home
    #6
    From Apple's iPod touch page:

    That explains both why it didn't charge all the way up and why it was sitting there for a while saying it wasn't completely full (because it takes longer to charge that last 20%).

    When I charge mine I tend to leave it overnight. It doesn't get hot, just slightly warm around the connector (just like with a notebook computer), and it doesn't damage the battery as all iPods automatically stop taking a charge the moment it's registered as being full.
     
  7. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #7

    Thanks for the info. I knew I read somewhere 2 hours charge time, but wasn't thinking about it being the fast charge. I let it sit for several hours the other day after the post and it charged 100%. The battery still seems to drain a little faster than my last one (but it has been since September and I didn't use it as much to be able to compare farely) the thing I've noticed with this one over the other one is that the battery fluctuates a lot more... I guess it could just be more accurate. Since I was able to get a full charge I haven't had to charge it since so that seems much more useable.

    Thanks again for all the help!
     
  8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

    ntrigue

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    #8
    Li-Ion batteries last longer if the software allows them to get 80% full very quickly but take that same amount of time to fill the remaining 20% (trickle-charging).

    After your next complete charge (plug icon) let the Touch die completely then plug it into the wall overnight. It will improve the accuracy.
     

Share This Page