iPod touch Charging is not supported with this Accessory

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TomSuke, Nov 5, 2011.

1. TomSuke macrumors newbie

I have an itouch 3G with iOS 5 and I keep getting that yellow triangle and the message Charging is not supported with this accessory.
    I've tried air dusting, but dust isn't the problem. I heard that I had to delete a launch daemon called accessory, but looking through ifile (jailbroken btw) I could not find this daemon.

Can someone help me please? It's seriously draining my battery life D:

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Did it ever occur to you that mentioning the accessory you are trying to use might be helpful?

3. TomSuke thread starter macrumors newbie

Um....I'm not using an 'accessory', it's just saying that. I guess charging it? When I charge it and take it out, it says that, I've changed cords too but still, and now even when it's not in plug it randomly pops up on the screen, locked or not.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Are you using officially licensed by Apple chargers?
    Have you tried a restore, not upgrade?

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

There are a couple cheap chargers off ebay that don't work. However, there are many that do. Perhaps you picked on one that's a dud?

If you ended up with a dud, I can pull out the 4-5 I have floating around and dig up where I got them. paid like $3 for them and they've worked with everything from my 3G to 3Gs and now even with my 4s. I won't pay for overpriced Apple chargers ever.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

They don't need to be Apple branded accessories or power adapters. They do need to be accessories or power adapters licensed by Apple.

[​IMG]

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I doubt the cheap ones from China that range from $3-5 are licensed, but they still work. I could be wrong about licensing though. End of the day, so long as they work, I'm good with them as I don't feel the desire to pay for Apple to "license" them. Apple gouges enough on their items already.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Im curious what the terms are for a product to be licensed by Apple. I wonder if just money is involved or if Apple has to approve of the design also.

9. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I have one charging cable that my 3GS rejects. My 3GS works fine with all other cables, and all other devices (two iPad 2s and a 4S) work with the cable the 3GS gives the error with. I simply marked the cable and make sure not to use it with the 3GS.

10. TomSuke thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, store bought ones and all, and yes, I've done a restore after the iOS upgrade, and several as well. I just jailbroke recently for the first time, though this issue's been up before that.

Cord wise, I used the original and after a while when that happened, I bought a new one straight from the apple store :3

11. brand, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012

brand macrumors 601

brand

Call Apple Support or buy AppleCare+

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I actually got a message like this stating

Accessory is not made for iphone

on my dock everytime i put my 4s on my dock and it has me worried about my phone. It worked fine on the 4...so it's quite odd as when I bought it it said it worked with iphone.

think I will just charge from the plug for the wall from now on just in case.

13. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I got a cheap $2 one off Amazon and it works great. I got this once, so I changed the cable.

14. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I have had this happen a few times with my 4s and the Apple Universal Dock (and official charger & cord). The dock connector doesn't have dust in it and there has been no exposure to water. I don't really worry about it, if it ever becomes a problem then thats what Applecare+ is for.

15. juandule macrumors newbie

I have gotten that message when I plugged my iPhone into a USB hub. I know that external 2.5 inch hard drives designed to run off the power of a USB port do not work on this USB hub because it does not provide enough power to the drive, so I assume that is the reason for the message on the iPhone and always plug my iPhone directly into a USB port on my MacBook Pro. However, there are some small laptops that don't even provide that much power (which is why many external 2.5 inch hard drives come with a cable that has 2 USB connectors at one end, so they can get more juice out of a 2nd USB port). And there are some computers (both desktop and laptop) where some USB ports provide less power than others.

So... maybe whatever you are plugging your phone into doesn't provide enough power? Can you tell us what you are plugging into? (And verify that you are using a genuine Apple cable?)

16. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

This also happens when I plug in usb extenders.

17. TomSuke thread starter macrumors newbie

Store bought apple cord, verified and all, and it's anything I charge with. I've always charged with the laptop/wall/carcharger, and I think it's enough power.

It's getting to be a problem because I'd fully charge it (it still charges despite the sign and pop up) but then in my pocket I won't use it, or on the table, it'll randomly pop into the screen for a while, and that drains the battery so within a few hours I'd be near dead.

Apple claims it to be a hardware issue and that repairs would be pricey, but here I'm finding people deleting daemons and such and getting around it for free, I really don't want to spend money to fix it when I know it's not the cord or hardware.

My friend has the same touch, no problem, and I've used his cord on his computer to test, it's still the same problem for me so I know it's not the cord.

18. muyaad macrumors member

Apple claims it to be a hardware issue and that repairs would be pricey, but here I'm finding people deleting daemons and such and getting around it for free, I really don't want to spend money to fix it when I know it's not the cord or hardware.

My friend has the same touch, no problem, and I've used his cord on his computer to test, it's still the same problem for me so I know it's not the cord.[/QUOTE]

If u know that it's software prob, all u need is to find the way how to silent that daemon

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.161818,-79.628906

19. bydandie macrumors member

I find the same issue with my 4s in the TomTom cradle and Powerboost extended battery. It still charges, just doesn't register. If I plug the 4s into the cradle then switch on the car it appears, if I plug in after the car's started the. I never get the issue, therefore I suspect it's software as a colleague at work gets the same error on his iP 4 with a Mophie Extended battery pack. With battery packs, taking the phone and reseating makes the error go away.

20. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

Your dock connector in the iPod is damaged. That's why you keep getting the error even when not charging

21. MattOwen macrumors newbie

Workaround

I've had this problem on several different occasions with my iPhone 4 - One of those occasions was while I was on a trip in Washington DC, and it was my only form of contact with the outside world. I use nothing but apple chargers with my iPhone 4, but for some reason, once in a blue moon, my phone will go nuts and not allow itself to charge for more than 3 seconds at a time... I've found that putting the phone into DFU mode and leaving it plugged in seems to do the trick. Why would Apple put software restrictions on battery charging?! ARRRRGH!!!

22. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

I've had a dock from china that would come up with that message. Using the wire itself from china had no problem. I think the dock invert the connectors and it was causing the problem. It might have been the cause of my 3GS's demise, but I have no proof of that.

23. Nish603 macrumors newbie

I had to read too much !lol an so will u! I am personally dealing with an iPod touch 3rd and this "charging accessory" screen is poping up no matter wht my iPod has always used apple cords tho it has been damaged the screen is cracked and the charging port is damaged tho it has been damaged for over two months and only after did the upgrade happen did this "charging accessory" thing start happening .. Two days ago!! Along with the problem that my speakers and volume slide would go missing .. The speakers and volume slide was deff solved as an upgrade issue ... I'm deff thinking that this charging problem has to do with the same reason! If anyone finds an answer to the problem pls post but I think we've narrowed it down lol!!!