"Charging is not supported with this accessory"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dow1009, Dec 28, 2011.

1. dow1009 macrumors newbie

Can anyone please help? My sons Ipod Touch 3RD gen has shown this message "Charging is not supported with this accessory". However, disconnecting and then reconnecting would normally solve the problem. But two days ago my son fell asleep listening to music and has not been able to charge it or turn it on since. It just seems dead. I have tried new cables, charging points – mains and USB, my younger son also has the same Ipod and charges from all of these!!! I have tried all the usual tricks like holding down buttons or trying to reset but there is still no life in the Ipod. It is about 18 months old, not jailbroken and has not had the firmware updated, so as it left the shop really. Any thoughts to help out a grumpy boy!!
    Thank you. Sorry for the long post.
    Andrew Dowden-Smith

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Sounds like dirt in the dock connector. Take something like a toothbrush and clean the dock connector, then blow the dust out, that may solve the problem. Another option is to use (medicinal) alcohol on a q-tip

I've used both methods, they work =)

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Good advice, I'd try this first as it appears its out of warranty.

You could also have a loose dock connector or broken charging pins on the iPod Touch side of the equation. That is the one part of the iPod (other than screen) that see's the most use and its definitely possible its been jarred loose and isn't making a positive connection to the battery charging circuit. You can try affixing the power cable and then jiggling it a bit from side to side to see if you've developed a short somewhere.

Fixing that issue is another matter entirely. You have to open the thing up to address it yourself but there are tutorials on the web describing how to do so.

4. paule123 macrumors newbie