Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bazookafx3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Alright so I've had a jailbroken 3gs for a couple of weeks now and I recently started getting an error message claiming that 'Charging is not supported with this accessory' only problem? Nothing is plugged in!
The message can show up at any time, in the middle of a text, email, video, and it really is a nuisance. I was wondering if anyone knows how/if there is a way to disable this message or a workaround that could be causing this error?
(anything other than a clear restore that is)

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
Sounds as if you have something stuck between/among the connector pins at the bottom of your phone. If not, then a restore is what's left - never heard of this before...

bazookafx3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sounds as if you have something stuck between/among the connector pins at the bottom of your phone. If not, then a restore is what's left - never heard of this before...

That was my original theory but a can of airduster disproved that instantly.
I've seen a tutorial on how to disable the 'Airplane Mode' message via SSH so I figure there must be someone to do this for my error, the problem is I don't know if anyone actually knows.

bazookafx3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Alright nevermind, well it worked once but now after a reboot the message began showing up again. Also I tried re-issuing the command but to no avail

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
Just delete /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.accessoryd.plist. I deleted mine ages ago, along with 25 other daemons.

(edit: don't delete any other daemons unless you know what you're doing. Look it up on modmyi, then check out the script in my signature if you want to get rid of other daemons)

bazookafx3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Just delete /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.accessoryd.plist. I deleted mine ages ago, along with 25 other daemons.

(edit: don't delete any other daemons unless you know what you're doing. Look it up on modmyi, then check out the script in my signature if you want to get rid of other daemons)

Alright I appreciate that alot, it worked and it stay permanent. But while I have you here I have two questions:
1: is there a way to remove the splash screen that replaces my lock-screen background? There is no popup to tell me my device isnt supported but I still get the same yellow triangle saying its not supported, any clue how to change this?

2: Also any other daemons you recommend deleting?

FastangV6

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
2: Also any other daemons you recommend deleting?

The modmyi thread posted above contains all the info. you need about other daemons to remove. I just deleted about 15 daemons from the list on my 3G and all language packs except English and the difference is definitely noticeable. Boot time is improved slightly, I am noticing about 5-10 additional MB of RAM free upon startup, and the phone generally feels snappier. Thanks to foob for the info! Great free mods!

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
Here is the modmyi thread about daemons. In my sig, there is a script I wrote that uses the descriptions from that modmyi thread and goes through the 31 "safe" and "conditional" daemons and asks if you want to disable them one by one. This can be done by hand pretty easily by using the info on that page, I was just bored and wrote the script. There is also a package in Cydia called DisableDaemons or something. In case you run across it, what it does is disable the 18 daemons listed as "safe" on that page.

Since FastangV6 mentioned it, there is also a language pack remover script in my sig that I do recommend. There is a command on modmyi for doing it, but many people report it screws up their phones. It actually screwed up mine and I don't know why because the command looks solid, but my script uses a different method and is meant to be foolproof. I used it to remove over 3000 language packs on my phone. I don't know if that helps performance, but it's nice to open a directory and not have to scroll down through tons of languages to find files.

None of this is my work, except the scripts (my name is fubaya on modmyi). I just ran across the info and decided to make a better and safer method for removing language packs then got bored and edited that script to do the daemons too.

vintagefreak

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Hi to all,

I am getting this message " Accessory not made to work with iPhone.... turn on airplaine mode, etc"
This-accessory-is-not-made-to-work-with-iPhone1.jpg

lost my internal speaker sound, but can still use headphones..

I am on iPhone #GS FW 3.0 jailbreak Redsn0w 0.8 ...

i have cleaned my dock with dry air... still same error :(

Will this hack work on 3GS FW 3.0 ?

anyone could confirm that?

thanks alot in advance

vintagefreak

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Any water damage to your iphone by any chance?
Check the moisture sensors.
no water damage... the charger had some dust maybe... or the dock had a bit of a dust from being in the pocket alot...
but i've cleaned that using dry air...

still no go :(

edddmaser

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
i had same problem as OP... i deleted /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.accessoryd.plist. but the "charging is not supported with this accessory" still pops up and it only pops up when the cable isnt connected...

im using an iphone 3gs running on 4.0.1 btw

MrThompsonR

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2009
In the words of Apple, "There's an app for that." Look for/ install Popup Blocker... You can turn off this warning and many more... $.99 on Cydia...

http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/2009/08/03/popup-blocker-control-the-popups-on-your-iphone-or-ipod-touch/

"In the Alerts option you have the ability to turn on/off Block When Unlocked, Block When Locked and Wake On Alert for the following popups;

• Calendar Alerts
• SMS Alerts
• Voicemail Alerts
• Location Requests
• Accessory Warnings (This one should fix the charging problem)
• Network Lost Warnings
• App Deletion Warnings
• App Store Ratings
• Low Battery Warnings
• Low Disk Space Warnings
• Backgrounders Alerts
• Call Failure Warnings"

Rogue Agent

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2005
I recently had this issue show up on my 3GS as well. My phone hasn't gotten wet but initially started to happen after docking and removing my phone from an older Bose sound dock. When I used it I got the request to turn on airline mode and I said no and went about listening to music. When I removed it, I did not stop the iPod app from playing first and the issue started right after. "Charging not Supported..." with nothing plugged into the iPhone.

This solution worked for me. After mucking with things and reading forums for a day or so, I put it BACK into the Bose dock, did turn on airline mode when prompted and then started listening to music. This time I stopped the iPod and THEN removed it from the dock, THEN switched out of airplane mode. I'm not sure exactly what this process might have reset, it seems to be some sort of logic/procedure bug. But I haven't had the error pop up for 24 hours now. It seems that putting it back in the unsupported accessory and following the suggestions may have reset whatever was causing the problem

I hope this helps someone else.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
You can get "NoAccessorySplash " (comes from ModMyi) for SBSettings. It's free and you can quick enable or disable it.

If you have an iPhone running iOS 4.x, get "NoAccessorySplash iOS4".

S-

sbl03

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
I had this problem just now. It turns out the problem was because I was using a cheap dock connector I got off eBay for $4. Finding an old official connector did the trick.

Brokerbillz

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
Error message-"Charging is not supported with this accessory"-NOTHING IS PLUGGED IN!

GUYS PLEASE HELP-I know this is my 1st post but I have a major issue with my apple iphone 3gs old bootrom jb and unlocked on ios 4.1. I am new to everything and got pretty far in just a few days (When I purchased the phone a few weeks ago it had ios 4.0, so I did all the work myself with upgrading and re-jb and unlocking) .......

The situation is that I get an error that pops up very frequently that says "charging is not supported by this accessory"-BUT NOTHING IS PLUGGED IN-It pops up anytime in the middle of an email, text, surfing the web, etc and the phone isn't even plugged in!!!... I also get a yellow triangle on the lock screen when I go to unlock the phone and it has the same error message "charging is not supported by this accessory" and again nothing is plugged in! (Had same error's with ios 4.0 as I do with ios 4.1-so I don't think its ios related). I don't think its water damage either or anything like dust in the pins, but the point being how do I stop these error messages/warnings from popping up?

*I got as far as to delete the daemon called "com.apple.accessoryd.plist" and it actually works and takes away the error message's!!!! However, when I delete this specific daemon my gps and maps on the phone don't work! How can I disable these specific error message's (or solve the problem) but still enable this daemon so I can track my phone via gps and also use mapquest 4 etc.......Please help guys!!!

Shann86

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010

I having this same problem as the poster of this thread and i wanted to try doing this but i don't know how

az988

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2009
I had this problem just now. It turns out the problem was because I was using a cheap dock connector I got off eBay for $4. Finding an old official connector did the trick.

I've noticed in the past that cheap knock-off sync cables can cause the message to come up too

McGyvr

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
I had same prob for a little over 2 months (on and off) until...

I had the same problem for a little over 2 months (on and off)... read these forums and how to try to fix it (none helped me). Until I tried carrying my iPhone 3GS up-side-down for a few days (about 1 1/2 weeks or so) and the problem disappeared after that.
One forum said it was water damage, perhaps they were right.

iPhone 3GS IOS v3.1.2
(upgrading to v4 would not have helped based on many forums I went to)

streetglow124

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
device not compatible for charging

ii have a iphone 3gs and i recently got te ios4.2 update installed into my phone. its not jailbroken. and i have this thing comming up like all te time only when its on charge, "charging is not supported with this accessory", and it will put my phone on charge, and off charge like 30 times in 3 seconds. it just freaks out. then it will stop, and start again. i just want to charge my damn phone! it didnt do this yesterday.. i tried restarting my phone, i dunno what else to do. help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.