Charging Issue or Nothing?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bsbfan, Jul 1, 2014.

1. bsbfan macrumors member

I usually charge my 5 once a week and usually no less than 4 hours. I was charging it today from 23% and in minutes shy of 3 hours it was just at 99%. I was actually surprised, but then I remembered I usually charge an extra hour or two.

When I initially went to check it was at 96% and 10 minutes later 99%. I bet I was a mere 1 to 2 more minutes from it being 100% but I had to be somewhere so I unplugged it.

My question is, should it have reached 100% within that time frame or is this just nothing? I mean, like previously stated, I usually charge another hour or so so I have nothing to go on. Any suggestions?

2. kidsleepy macrumors member

kidsleepy

Is this the first time you've noticed the phone's battery not reaching 100%?

I noticed with my iPhone 5 (before I had it replaced and then gave it to a family member so I could upgrade to the 5S), that after about 9-10 months it didn't reach 100% anymore; it'd hang at 98-99%.

I'd just guess that the battery is getting a little weak. How long have you had it, and do you have the extended warranty (assuming it's over 1 year old)?
    They won't usually replace it for battery issues, but if you go in and say that your home button intermittently doesn't respond, you can probably have a new phone... if the battery issue bothers you.

3. bsbfan thread starter macrumors member

I don't think there is an issue with the battery, it still reaches 100%, I was just a little taken aback that it hadn't in almost 3 hours from 20 something %. The amount of time I was more worried about.

Funny thing is after all that and i took my phone out to use like an hour later, somehow it was at 100% lol

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

That's normal. Most charging circuitry rapidly charges up to 80%. Then a slower charge to 95% and then a trickle charge until full. The iPhone rapid charges in 90 minutes or so. The next 15% in another hour or so. The final 5% for another hour.

5. bsbfan thread starter macrumors member

Is it normal it can trickle up or down, just a few percentage points when turned off completely? I had it at 98% before, unplugged and off and when turned back on it was at full charge or the vice versa. I was at 31%, turned off, back on it was at 28%