Charging issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnrBjotk, Feb 3, 2015.

1. AnrBjotk macrumors member

So, Ive been using an my old MacBook 2007 charger to charge my MacBook Pro 2011, because the latter one started fraying early on.
    However, the old charger has been acting up for over a year now, refusing to "connect" (i.e charging and the orange light glowing) unless I sort of kept it pressed to the macbook. As soon as it lit up, it would charge fine.
    Last week it stopped connecting suddenly, then it would sometimes and sometimes not. Off an on.
    My question is: Is this a charger issue? Im getting a new one, but some part of me is terrified it could be an issue with the connection at the MacBook-end, i.e the slot being worned... Is that possible? Sort of wanna know before I shill out that insane amount for a new charger.
    Cheers.

2. AnrBjotk thread starter macrumors member

So, yeah: Basically, if the macbook wont charge (with an old charger), can it be the macbook and not the charger thats at fault?

3. fega72 macrumors newbie

Hi!
    Yes, it can be the macbook. But first, check the magsafe connector and clean it (with a toothbrush?). Also check the charger side as well- the spring loaded pins can be stuck.

4. AnrBjotk thread starter macrumors member

How likely is it that its the MacBook? And how do I unstick the pins? And, if its the Mac, can it be fixed? To a reasonable price?

5. fega72 macrumors newbie

I hope this helps: http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS1713

6. jorgk macrumors member

jorgk

Just had this on a late-2011 15" MBP: The standard charger did not charge nor showed the green or orange LED. Also, on a second old 65 W charger (from a 2008 MB) the LED stayed dark - while both worked fine on the 2008 MB.

Turned out some electronics on the logic board was bad - got it replaced and everything is fine.
    I don't know if it's possible to just replace the one electronic component, otherwise a LB replacement is rather expensive.

Keep in mind that if you have a 2011 15" or 17" MBP (as opposed to a 13" one) you may progress steadily towards radeongate - requiring a LB replacement anyways or to get the GPU soldered correctly. Just search for "Radeongate".

Good luck!

7. AnrBjotk thread starter macrumors member

A new old charger worked just dandy (despite going walkabout at the mail office for close to a week)! Yay.