Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Often my iPhone 12 reverts backwards in percentages when charging using a standard wireless or wired charger. I mostly use the fast charger which works perfectly and what my iPhone is used too. Has the fast charger deflated my battery?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you’ve got a Mac computer, download coconut Battery and you’ll see how much current is really going into the battery.

I know if an iPad (with a large battery) is plugged into a tiny 5 watt charger, the battery will continue to discharge while using it even though it’s plugged in. Charger can’t keep up.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
If you’ve got a Mac computer, download coconut Battery and you’ll see how much current is really going into the battery.

I know if an iPad (with a large battery) is plugged into a tiny 5 watt charger, the battery will continue to discharge while using it even though it’s plugged in. Charger can’t keep up.
I see. Probably best to stay away from standard chargers.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
0EDE9743-B008-411F-9527-5BB1EA483BE0.png
I’ve had that happen before, too.
Mostly with an aftermarket charger, but also with original ones. It should be nothing more than a software glitch. At least for me this hasn’t happened in a while. When did it start for you?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
View attachment 1957696 I’ve had that happen before, too.
Mostly with an aftermarket charger, but also with original ones. It should be nothing more than a software glitch. At least for me this hasn’t happened in a while. When did it start for you?
No idea as I don’t regularly use standard chargers and mostly use fast chargers. I am on vacation and noticed the problem with a wireless charger on my iPhone 12.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If the connection inside the lightning port is poor due to a dirty plug or socket, the charge indicator can light up and the chime sound, but only a few milliamperes of current might be flowing into the battery. Not enough to charge it, but just enough for the phone to THINK it’s getting charged.

AM2354

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2020
I just had a friend call me and asked me what I knew about the Apple Batteries, for his battery life was reading 86% on his Apple 12 Max. I then looked on my iPhone 12 Pro and i was at 84%. I took mine to the Apple store and had my battery replaced. The Apple Rep. was telling me there are a ton of things that can chip away the life of the battery, and charging it improperly was one way. I charge mine now with the 20W charger. I also have shut down my email. I check it manually every 1 to 2 hours. I don't have email that needs to be answered immediately. I also shut off refresh.

What is upsetting is the money we spend on Apple products to worry about

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The standard 5W Apple charger won't cause a problem and is recommended for best battery health.

But if you're using non-Apple chargers, anything can happen. Those no-name chargers might not deliver the required power.

Reactions: jwolf6589

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I am talking about non fast chargers.

And what standard are you referring to? The charging power is determined by the wattage. 5,10 and 12 W charger blocks from Apple I have in the house. They all charge the same device at different speeds.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Often my iPhone 12 reverts backwards in percentages when charging using a standard wireless or wired charger. I mostly use the fast charger which works perfectly and what my iPhone is used too. Has the fast charger deflated my battery?

Inspect the Lightning end on any cable you use. If you see one of the copper pads is darker than the rest throw that thing in the trash immediately. If its burning up its little pad its can be doing the same thing to your lightning port on the inside which is much harder to fix.

Like mentioned by @now i see it it could be something as simple as a dirty connection or a poor quality cable. Even at 5volt 1amp (5 watt) a brand new Apple 5watt charger and Apple Lightning cable would deliver the full 5watt. It will be 4.5-4.8 due to resistance in the cable and there being connections. That is about the best you'll get from a 5 watt charger without using a 6" Lightning Cable or something.

Simulated load tester plugged directly into the Apple charger and adjusted to 5 watt (upper right).
tempImageoWDrsB.png

Just added a brand new Apple Lightning cable to the mix and its 4.77 watt which is a 5% loss due to the cable.
tempImageBNi0qb.png

And keep in mind thats best case with an Apple 5watt charger and lightning cable taken directly out of the box it came in. I wouldn't even bother with 5 watt wireless (is that even a thing?).

Question I have for you though is were you using the phone while it was charging? It easy to make a modern iPhone use more that 5 watts. This is often seen while driving, plugged into the cigerette light or using USB 2 standard 5volt 750mV while using GPS and Music and talking on the phone via BT, etc.

Funnily enough I just posted this in another thread. While running Geekbench 5 my iPhone was consuming 8.878watts (2.279amps x 3.896volt).
Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 6.21.27 AM.png

If I was charging with 5 watts or less it would be draining faster than charging thus losing percentage.

Point is I doubt there is anything wrong with your phone except possibly a dirty lightning port.

Good luck!

Reactions: jwolf6589
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.