Charging Mac in car?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by foreverandalway, Jul 31, 2012.

1. foreverandalway macrumors member

I'm taking a long car ride[about 14 hours each way] and was looking for a way to charge my mac in the car, as I'll be watching movies on it.

Is there anything I can get that will let me do that? I'm trying to find an inexpensive product to do that as I won't be using it much after this trip.

2. MrAnthonySutton macrumors newbie

Apple sells one for $49. It's called the Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB441Z/A

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the thread title and the OP. The request is for a car charger, not an airline charger.

4. foreverandalway thread starter macrumors member

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. cvaldes macrumors 68040

Actually, you would be better off buying a non-computer specific product that can be used after your trip.

Here's a typical automotive power inverter:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-PW400-12-Inverter-Watt/dp/B000OOZY5S

As you can see, it can handle other devices that use the standard plug so you don't need to keep buying dedicated cigarette lighter chargers for your various devices.

I have kept something like this in the trunk of my car for years. I have a discontinued model, a Coleman-branded inverter, but there are a slew of them in the $25-50 range.

7. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest if you go the inverter route, you buy a true sine wave inverter, rather than a modified sine wave inverter, just to be on the safe side. The chances are that it would be OK with modified sine wave, but that cannot be 100% guaranteed.

I used a 140 watt modified sine wave inverter on a last rev powerbook a few years ago. It blew the charger and the DC circuit board.