Charging MacBook in America

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by megamagicphil, Jan 19, 2008.

1. megamagicphil macrumors newbie

Hi there, I am new to this so I'm hoping that this will prove that your forums really can supply an answer. I got a MacBook for Christmas and I am going on holiday to America in a couple of weeks. I need to take my laptop with me in order to e-mail my GCSE coursework to my teachers and because of the voltage in America I am wondering if my laptop will charge properly.:confused:

Please could you solve my mystery and help me out?

Thank-you

Phil

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It will charge fine, all you need is a plug shape adapter to fit the American sockets.

The power adapter is autoswitching for voltages and Apple ships the same power brick to everyone, they only change the shape of the plug depending on the country it is sold in.

3. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

You do not say what country you are coming from or what your voltage there is where you live.

They sell travel adaptors to add between your MacBook brick and the wall outlet. Available most places. Do a google search for travel plug adaptors and you should be just fine.

Hope your visit to the US is a pleasant one and you have some time to be a tourist!

4. megamagicphil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help.:) I have just found some of the apple adapters from my old iPod connection kit!

Thanks again

Phil

5. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Hi Phil

I have taken my laptop and ipod gear to the States loads of times (from the UK). Like everyone states above, just find a USA adaptor, and plug in your laptop or whatever and it will work. Note: this only applies to Apple equipment, because they auto adjust the voltage. You need to check other equipment.

If you do lose your adaptor or need another one, go to any Walmart, head for luggage/travel section, you will find them all there.

Enjoy your trip!

6. tomo748tomo748 macrumors newbie

it wont work

Im really sure if youd hav bought a sony vaio you wouldnt hav this problem.

DOWN WITH APPLE DOWN WITH APPLE
    you will not tka e over the world!!

7. megamagicphil thread starter macrumors newbie

I can assure you that if I would have bought a Sony VAIO I would have had a greater problem because it says in this thread Apple products can automatically switch the voltage whereas with a Sony the laptop simply wouldn't charge as it wouldn;t be able to cope with the weaker voltage.