Charging Macbook pro with 12Volt

waggeladventure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Iam traveling with my Macbook pro 15 inch. I have two modified sinus converters. They convert 12Volt DC to 100-240AC. For some reason both converter jump into their safeguard and stop charging the laptop almost immediately.

Is it necessary to charge the laptop with a pure sinus converter?

Does anyone know if there are adapters for the macbookpro with input 12Volt?

Thanks
marcel

waggeladventure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
There both 150W, so that should be enough. I also carry a small 10" samsung laptop. With this laptop, one of the converters is working for some reason...and the other one is also jumping in safeguards.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
There both 150W, so that should be enough. I also carry a small 10" samsung laptop. With this laptop, one of the converters is working for some reason...and the other one is also jumping in safeguards.
I also have this same issue. Are you sure the outlet you are using is rated for the adapters?

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
Iam traveling with my Macbook pro 15 inch. I have two modified sinus converters. They convert 12Volt DC to 100-240AC. For some reason both converter jump into their safeguard and stop charging the laptop almost immediately.

Is it necessary to charge the laptop with a pure sinus converter?

Does anyone know if there are adapters for the macbookpro with input 12Volt?

Thanks
marcel
The Macbook AC adapter is not bothered if the AC is sinusoidal, as it it a switchmode device, which means it first converts the AC to DC and then switches this across the primary of a high frequency transformer.

With your Macbook battery low, the operating power and charging requirements most likely exceed the capacity of the inverters that you are using.
You could try it after first ensuring the battery is fully charged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.