Charging Macbook pro with 12Volt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waggeladventure, Jul 28, 2010.

1. waggeladventure macrumors newbie

Iam traveling with my Macbook pro 15 inch. I have two modified sinus converters. They convert 12Volt DC to 100-240AC. For some reason both converter jump into their safeguard and stop charging the laptop almost immediately.

Is it necessary to charge the laptop with a pure sinus converter?

Does anyone know if there are adapters for the macbookpro with input 12Volt?

Thanks
    marcel

2. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

What's the watt rating of the power inverters?

You should probably have a 100W or better for an 85W load.

3. waggeladventure thread starter macrumors newbie

There both 150W, so that should be enough. I also carry a small 10" samsung laptop. With this laptop, one of the converters is working for some reason...and the other one is also jumping in safeguards.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I also have this same issue. Are you sure the outlet you are using is rated for the adapters?

5. waggeladventure thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean with this? I have a 12V connection in my campervan they are different than the normal 12V sigaretplug in a car.

Marcel

6. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

The Macbook AC adapter is not bothered if the AC is sinusoidal, as it it a switchmode device, which means it first converts the AC to DC and then switches this across the primary of a high frequency transformer.

With your Macbook battery low, the operating power and charging requirements most likely exceed the capacity of the inverters that you are using.
    You could try it after first ensuring the battery is fully charged.