Charging MacBook (Pro) with Thunderbolt 3 ports on iMac 2017

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wmy5, Jun 20, 2017.

1. wmy5 macrumors regular

I was wondering if an 2017 iMac can deliver power through Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports to a MacBook (Pro) for charging, just like what a LG 5K Thunderbolt 3 display can do. I did not find any specs from Apple knowlege base. Does anyone know about this? Also, out of curiousity, what is the maximum watt that a Thunderbolt 3 port can deliver? Thanks a lot.

2. Glockworkorange macrumors regular

Glockworkorange

Yes. I am charging a 2016 13 inch MB Pro with a 27 inch 2017 iMac right now.

3. wmy5 thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds very impressive. Do you know how fast your iMac is charging your MacBook Pro? Is it as fast as the AC adapter comes with your MacBook Pro?

4. fokmik macrumors 65816

5. Glockworkorange macrumors regular

Glockworkorange

No idea how fast it is charging with the TB3 cable, because it was just about at full power when I plugged it in (I did it as soon as I saw the OP's post and wanted to see if it would charge).

6. wmy5 thread starter macrumors regular

What if you plug both ends of your TB3 cable into your MBP? Does it "charge" itself? :)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2017 ---
    Each TB3 port should deliver at least 10W, enough to power an external drive or similar bus-powered device. But I don't think charging a MBP at 10W is very useful.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2017 ---
    Glockworkorange, would you mind take a look at the "About this Mac" info of your iMac, with your MBP plugged in? I am interested in knowing the power that the iMac can actually deliver. Thanks!

7. chromos macrumors member

According to this page from Apple, the Thunderbolt 3 ports provide 15W of power (each).