Charging MBP FIRST time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sugarray3000, Sep 1, 2010.

1. sugarray3000 macrumors member

Hey guys. the postman have JUST delivered my MBP!!! I HAVE searched the forum but i don't think i could find the precise answer ... Shall my MBP charge 24 hours (or something like that) before i can turn it on the first time?

If not, Can i just turn it on with the adapter in right now? anything else i should know?

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Look in the quick start book, that came in the box (it's the 'everything Mac' booklet). It should tell you there ;)

Although I'll tell you as well; you're supposed to charge it all the way (until the light goes green) just to calibrate the battery, as they're empty out of the factory I think.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can plug it in and start using it right away, while it's charging. Then, you'll want to calibrate it. See the instructions (along with answers to most, if not all, of your battery questions) on this page:
    Actually, they come partially charged from the factory, so you can use it on battery right away, if needed.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

And make sure you plug it into the bottom (if vertical) or left side (if horizontal) of the two plugs in the wall plug. Something about the polarity. Unless you are in the southern hemisphere.... then it's reversed.

Ok - just kidding. Far as I know, you can start using it straight away, if it's plugged in. But do let charge all the way up, and follow the other advice above about calibrating the battery.

Congratulations.....

Follow the Apple advice about battery care (calibrate occasionally, let it run off battery at least a little bit, regularly) and the battery will last a long time. I tend to run my MPB off battery more often, and it's in better health than my wife's who leaves her MBP plugged in all the time. Mind you, we have old MBPs so our mileage may vary vs yours.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

mine came calibrated and 89% charged.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should still calibrate it when you first get it.

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

See the link I posted in post #3.

9. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

so whats the point?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Calibration makes your battery reporting accurate, so it doesn't show 100% health when it's actually 89%.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

Keeps you from coming back and posting that your battery is only 43% healthy after only a year's worth of use..... and then calibrating and coming back to post an apology and saying that it was all a sad mistake.... :D

.... very much said tongue in cheek ....