Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jutiger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Hi, would like to know if you guys have experience this before? I had the adaptor plug in to charge the MBP while using the laptop. I left it plug in even after fully charged. This is where I start to experience some static on the MBP. It's not like I got a shock but more like those numbing feeling. I am not sure how to describe it but it's like some kind of vibrating effect feel when your hands are on the aluminium body? Is this normal?

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
Hi, would like to know if you guys have experience this before? I had the adaptor plug in to charge the MBP while using the laptop. I left it plug in even after fully charged. This is where I start to experience some static on the MBP. It's not like I got a shock but more like those numbing feeling. I am not sure how to describe it but it's like some kind of vibrating effect feel when your hands are on the aluminium body? Is this normal?

i would get it looked at.

if you have one, get a voltmeter hooked up to it and see if there is any charge

jutiger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Sorry for the noob questions but how do I go about doing that?

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
Sorry for the noob questions but how do I go about doing that?

the voltmeter should have 2 leads, take one and touch the body of the laptop where you can feel the tingling and ground the other lead (touch it to a metal table leg or something like that)

if you get any positive or negative reading other than 0, there is a problem

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
I have had this with all of my mac's, have even posted about this before

I got it with my 12" PB, 15" Dual core and now my 15" uMBP

It is especially noticable to me if I also touch the lamp next to my computer
and likewise does not happen when it is not plugged in. Also being in UK, all of our devices are earthed.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.