Charging new Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iOwner, Jul 5, 2012.

1. iOwner macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Macbook Air today. And I want to know that should I plug it in for charge all day and all night or just charge it maybe only when the battery runs out.

Please help me.

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Simplified:
    Leave it on the charger for the most of time you use it, but not for all the time. When your not useing it, pull the plug unless you need that empty battery to be fully charged next morning.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    That is not what the link you posted says, and is very poor advice. You should not leave it on the charger most of the time you use it. That defeats the purpose of having a portable computer and is bad for the battery. Also, it is not necessary to unplug when you're not using it, as it will not overcharge. Read the Battery FAQ for facts.

4. n1tut macrumors regular

n1tut

Apple have just changed my MBA 11" battery FOC, I know the routine for getting the most out of my battery life, but on searching I can not find out what actually constitutes a cycle.

During the day at my desk I leave it plugged in, in bed I have it on battery for four hours, so a good mix. However does it count up a cycle every time it is plugged in then unplugged, or does it use another system?

tut

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read WHAT IS A CYCLE? in the Battery FAQ I posted.

6. dyn macrumors 68030

If you read Apple's own battery advice properly it simply says that you shouldn't worry about any kind of special charging plan. Just use it as you want and make sure you work on battery and charge it every now and then; which is what you'll probably be doing anyway.

7. MacBird macrumors 6502

If memory serves right, Lithium batteries last longer if you don't drain them entirely all the time. If you use the battery on a weekly basis or so, it should stay in good shape.