Charging not supported hacked???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by buffalohill, Jul 2, 2010.

1. buffalohill macrumors newbie

Hi,

Some accessories work great with old iPods and also sound great with iPhone and iPod touch but the iPhone and iPod touch show up with a screen saying that charging is not supported on this device and thus the battery drains as you use the accessory.

If I'm not mistaken it's because the USB protocol requests certain resistances at the appropriate pins to know that it can be charged. Apparently the older devices, supporting the charging of FireWire iPods, don't support this protocol, hence the refusal of the iPhone to charge. As far as I know you can solder a small resistor between two pins of the adapter and thus fool the iPhone into charging...

...not that I could be bothered to go to that length though...

It seems to me however like there might be a possibility here to hack this and to force the iPhone to still allow to be charged (although there may then again be a risk of burning it out???).

Anyone any ideas? Is there already something like this out there? Maybe on Cydia?

Anyone...?

Let me know your thoughts...

Would be very cool I think...

2. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

Look for Popup Blocker in Cydia. With it you can turrn off the popup warnings and use(charge with) some older hardware.