Charging not supported - why?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sheza, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

I bought an iPhone 5 30-pin adapter. I know it's not an official product but it only said that car charging and audio/video output were not supported, which is fine because I don't use those.

However when plugging it into the mains plug provided by Apple (The USB wall charger) it said charging is not supporte dby the accessory. In fact the only thing it works in is my computer.

Why is this? At the end of the day it's going into a USB port that can provide power, why shouldn't it work with the mains charger?

I'll be contacting the seller about this but was wondering if you guys could give me a bit of a better insight into why plugging the USB cable into a PC is dramatically different to plugging it into the mains charger. Heck, if you can fix this, even better!

And finally if all hope is lost, what's the cheapest way of charging an iPhone 5 via the mains charger?

EDIT: I should add that although buying a cheap cable (and not an adapter) is actually cheaper (£3 vs £5) I needed the adapter because I had a really long 30-pin cable initially that I need specifically for its length.

2. phillipduran macrumors 65816

phillipduran

It probably has something to do with the lightning connector and licensing of to third party devices.

3. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

My guess is that the 30 pin cable is so long that it dropped the 5 volts just low enough that it won't charge.