"Charging Not Supported With This Accessory."

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LeighAnna Jones, Aug 14, 2011.

1. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

This is stupid.

So my first charger that came with my iPod got the wires all twisted up and it wouldn't charge. So I went to the Apple store, expecting a nice new cable for around five dollars, and got a wonderful price tag that read $20.

So after my wallet was near-emptied and my iPod was officially dead, I went home and charged the thing on my laptop which is not currently connected to the internet so I use it for charging and storing Word Documents. Then I left for vacation and charged it in the car, and throughout the trip, a total of two hotels. I came home yesterday and plugged it in today on my regular PC, and I got a message that read, "Charging Is Not Supported On This Accessory."

It's a 32 GB iPod Touch 4, and little under a year old. I don't know why it's not charging. If I could have some help, that would be great. The message comes up every minute or so, and it shows the battery charging symbol half a second before hand. Now it's popping up every few seconds. It's also not connecting to the computer, little bubbles keep popping up on the computer reading, "USB Not Recognized" a few seconds after the screen goes dark and then after the not charging message comes up, "This device can preform faster" pops up, but that pops up every time my iPod is plugged in.

Thanks In Advance. (BTW It's an old computer)

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Its A little Technical

But your device IS actually charging, but only in what is known as "Trickle" mode. This is to prevent frying the Motherboard of your PC (you can't take 10 am[s from a usb port without causing damage)

I guess the bottom line is to buy a charger.....Check out Amazon....Cheap as chips :)

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It sounds like your iPod may have a hardware problem. Did it get wet at all?

That's only with iPads.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sorry To Correct You

But that's not the case....Works with iPhones, iPods as well....It's just such an insignificant charge that it would take a couple of day's to charge the device:)

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

But even if it does charge the iDevice, it won't on the OP's because his compute doesn't recognize it.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

True

:D If other computers do, then it could be the pc's usb ports are faulty. If not, like you say, the device itself could be U/S

One thing I cam across a while back when buying a dock extender cable. The cable was fine, but at the end that attaches to the iPad, iPhone etc, it had 2 gripping hooks (Totally unnecessary ) if you tried to remove the cable without holding in the two release catches it would be easy to damage the connections on the device......I binned it :)

7. evilblob macrumors member

I've had this with my 8GB iPod Touch 4. On my PC, there were 2 USB ports that came up with this error, but the other 3 or 4 were fine. It also charges properly off both my MacBook Pro's USB ports, so I'm thinking the original 2 USB ports were dodgy. This is with the cable that came with it.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Just a thought, and I may be off base here, but do you have iTunes installed on either of the PCs you're trying to charge your iPod on? I've always assumed that installing iTunes also installs the drivers necessary for the iPod to be recognized.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

On Windows the iPod will still show up as a camera and allow charging if iTunes is not installed.

10. LeighAnna Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

It has iTunes on both computers, the good one is offline and the old one is just old. Heck, it existed before the creating of Windows 98. That's how old it is. The old one is connecting to the internet but not charging the iPod. Someone help me, I have some new music I want to add and my offline laptop won't do that for some reason. (I'm trying to add CD's, not buy from iTunes, obvs.) I can charge it, but I don't have any way to access new music on it, buy new books, or update apps because I have no WiFi. Do I just need to *gulp* get a new computer?

----------

Tried plugging in a "Thumb Drive" to the same ports and the computer said, "USB Not Recognized" which is what it reads when I plug my iPod in. Piece of &%#$ USB Port. Gonna try plugging the thing to the USB's around back, this computers' old enough to have those, but I don't know if new models do or not.
    ANYWAYS...

----------

OH, SWEET VICTORY!

Let me say that it's definitely not fun digging around the back of some bulky old computer with a flashlight trying to find a USB Port, but let me say that I did find find it and it WORKS! My iPod is now charging, the original USB was faulty. Thanks to everyone who helped. The Apple symbol has just now appeared on the screen. Thanks again!

-L.J.