Charging or Syncing iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by McPhenius, Jun 23, 2010.

1. McPhenius macrumors newbie

I was told when I bought my iPad, that it uses a different power supply (10w I believe) and that it is not recommended to use a iPhone charger for the iPad and vice versa. Is this true?

What about the sync cables, can I charge the iPad via PC with my iPhone sync cable or vice versa?

2. Rolvag macrumors regular

Rolvag

I use the charger that came with the iPad to charge the iPad and my iPhones with no ill effects.

I was told by Apple you can do this but they said NOT to use the iPhone charger for the iPad.

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

This is the first time I've heard of this...does anyone have a link to some definitive proof of this?

I've just been using whatever charger is closer to me, iPhone or iPad. =X

4. McPhenius thread starter macrumors newbie

I was told by a Best Buy employee when I bought my iPad. Take that for what it's worth. Same store told me last night I could still preorder a iPhone 4 and pick it up in store tomorrow (right.....)

I've only used the sync cables to PC or laptop to charge my iPad / iPhone. I've used their independent wall chargers for specifically the device.

Now I wonder about my iPhone car charger.... if that could be used with a iPad.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's not like using the iPhone charger on the iPad will harm the iPad, it just charges a lot slower.

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

The Griffin charger that charges my 3GS iPhone will not charge my iPad.

Go figure. More money, more money, more money.