Charging other devices with iPod/iPhone charger?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pepitko, Apr 6, 2008.

1. pepitko macrumors member

I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.
    With the iPhone wall charger having an USB input, is it possible to charge other devices using this charger? I would like to try it out on my xBox wireless controllers.. Possibly you could even charge other mp3 players, cell phones or satnavs with this charger, but I am not sure whether the voltage would be correct..

Thanks

2. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I have a iPod USB wall charger and my little brother uses it to charge his Phillips mp3 player. I haven't tried it with anything else but his mp3 player works fine and keeps just as good a charge as if he used a computer.

3. pepitko thread starter macrumors member

hmm... I am going to try the xbox controller and write my experience afterwards..:)

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wont it depend on the voltage of the device? Is the USB Brick set for a certain voltage. Read the voltage on the iPhone, then check it on whatever you want to charge.

5. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I think so. I guess my brother got lucky. Who knows though, maybe USB wall chargers are pretty standardized with voltages...

6. pepitko thread starter macrumors member

I've recharged my xbox controller last night, and it worked perfectly! Charging took some 4 hours, so it was quicker than as if it was plugged into the xbox or pc and neither the charger and neither the battery was getting unusually hot. :)

I've checked the voltage on the iPod wall charger output is 5V, but I couldn't find voltage on the controller..

7. zaney macrumors regular

AFAIK USB only provides a 5V power rail, so, all USB devices are 5 volts. Pretty much any chargeable USB devices works in any USB chargers, the only exception to this I've found is the iPhone, I don't know if it's just mine, or the iPhone needs some special commands sent before it will charge, anyone know?

8. pepitko thread starter macrumors member

works for Blackberry

As I've tried the other day the iPhone/iPod charger works also for charging Blackberry.
    When I plugged the Blackberry into my Macbook it said that the current was to low, but worked perfectly when plugged in to the iPhone charger.