charging problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Poker-face, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Poker-face macrumors newbie

whenever i try to charge my macbook,when i plug it into an electicity space (i don't know how do you call it-i'm don't know english so well but i hope you understand) loud crack is heard and light appears (like a bolt)..but after that everything is normal.. can you help me??? thanks

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Two things I can think of...

1) Are you on a 210/220V electrical system? Sparking while plugging in seems more common sometimes on those as compared to 110/120V.

2) Your outlet may not be grounded properly.

As a means of protection, I'd recommend using a surge protector as opposed to plugging directly in to the wall.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Is this a new problem? How long has it been happening? And how old is your computer?

Also, does this happen with all electrical outlets? Have you tried outlets in other buildings?

Oh, and your English is great. :)

4. Poker-face thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah it's new problem because I have macbook only a few days... It's happening ever since i got it... I think it may be because laptop was bought in USA and I live in Europe... In America the pluggers are different but i have adapter..If there's anything I can do to pervent it,it would be very good beacuse (i guess) it can harm macbook??

and thanks about my english... :p

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's the same adapter whether you buy it in the United States or in Europe, it just has a different plug. The macbook power adapter is perfectly capable of handling up to 240 volts, but because it's a higher voltage than our standard 110v, the symptoms you describe are more likely to happen (that is to say, I think you're ok).

If you have concerns, please call AppleCare support in your country, and they can diagnose if you need a new adaptor or not.

International numbers: http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html

6. joe01 macrumors member

joe01

I`m have the same problem with my Alum Macbook battery .... How can i tell if my battery is going bad? ...

7. joe01 macrumors member

joe01

I`m have the same problem with my Alum Macbook battery .... How can i tell if my battery is going bad? ...

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sparking when you plug in the adapter has nothing to do with the battery.

9. OriginalFormula macrumors regular

If your battery is still charging as usual, you have nothing much to worry about.