Charging problems with 2.13 Ghz Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DarkRider2k3, Oct 16, 2015.

1. DarkRider2k3 macrumors newbie

DarkRider2k3

I have had for a little while now charging problems with my 2.13 Ghz Macbook (A1181 model).

To note what's been replaced:

Charger (using an oem apple charger)
    Battery (got off Amazon)
    Magsafe board (also off amazon).

The problem is that when you plug in the connector, it VERY quickly flashes green and then nothing. It has no lights on the charger's magsafe plug, the macbook does not show it charging, so yeah.. I'm becoming stumped.

Things I've tried:
    Resetting SMC multiple times
    checked pins on the battery connector
    tried with a different adapter.

I also took it to the mac store and their diagnostics told me what I already know. They felt like it was the magsafe board (which is why it was replaced) but that has not helped the problem... they at least showed me that my battery was good and the charger was good.

I'm wondering if it's the logic board itself but how would I even be able to tell that? I don't want to buy an expensive logic board if that isn't the issue ya know?

Thanks for reading this!!!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you have verified everything else as "good", then you have to work your way down the list:
    Battery
    Power Adapter
    Magsafe board
    Battery connector (with sleep switch)
    Logic board.

You haven't tried replacing the last two in the list.
    And, as you have stated, you would want to reconsider your MacBook's future, if you want to replace the logic board.
    I would likely look on eBay for a similar or newer model complete Macbook. You could look for one with a bad or missing battery, as you have a good battery to use.
    Just my 2p.

3. DarkRider2k3 thread starter macrumors newbie

DarkRider2k3

Would a faulty battery connector cause it to not charge, yet still turn on? My battery has like.. 20% of life left in it.. it still runs very fast and powers on...

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Battery charging current has to get to the battery somehow
    Makes sense to me that the battery connector could affect battery charging, eh?
    (You don't have to have a battery installed at all - I have a MacBook similar to yours that had a sudden battery swelling failure. I removed the cells from the battery enclosure, and haven't had a battery in my MacBook for more than 2 years, just an empty plastic space-filler. It's not portable now, but that's how I choose to use it. :D )

5. DarkRider2k3 thread starter macrumors newbie

DarkRider2k3

Actually that brings up a good point.

I tried the macbook without a battery installed, and all the charger does is quickly flash a green light. Won't power on or anything.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I don't if anyone has every sold a battery charging station for that specific model but I haven't looked very hard.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That also does not eliminate the battery connector. I only mentioned removing the battery because the main battery does not have to be installed for your MacBook to work. (and that also doesn't eliminate the battery connector as a possible culprit, even if the main battery is not installed)

8. DarkRider2k3 thread starter macrumors newbie

DarkRider2k3

Yeah it makes sense. Thanks for that help! Once I figure out what I'm doing I'll let you know what happens. I've seen some macbooks on craigslist (one with the 2.0 Ghz core 2 duo) that I could use (or use mine) for parts to complete. But I'll let you know what I do!