Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ec51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Sorry, stupid question here...but I an a new iPhone user. Got a macbook back in march and just officially turned into a fanboy by waiting since midnight for my white 16gb!!

Can you charge the phone while it is in fact...OFF ?

When I have the phone off, like off off...and plug it into my computer or an AC outlet, it automatically turns it on. Which makes me wonder if it 'has to' be on?

My question is, if I plug the phone in, THEN turn it off...is it still charging?

Merlosso

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
I have the same question. It does not appear to charge when it is off. I checked the manual but it does not say.

redeyedtreefrog

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Yes, you can!

Yes, you most definitely can charge when the phone is off. The trick is, you have to plug it in first, then turn it off, otherwise, if it's off already, plugging in will turn it back on (as you've already discovered). Hope this helps...:)

Farani

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Yes, you most definitely can charge when the phone is off. The trick is, you have to plug it in first, then turn it off, otherwise, if it's off already, plugging in will turn it back on (as you've already discovered). Hope this helps...:)

What he said ^^^.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.