Charging Retina Macbook with USB A to USB C?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spittingllama, May 9, 2015.

1. spittingllama macrumors member

I know that the Macbook can be charged via a backup battery but can the New Retina Macbook be charged by a USB-A to USB-C cable from something like a PS4 or another USB?

2. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I can confirm that yes, it will work (as long as it's idle or lid is closed), but it will be extremely slow. Under heavy load (i.e. taxing the CPU of the rMB), it's possible that it will not charge the battery at all, but it will continue to power the laptop; so it's good for maintaining a charge or powering the laptop.

I have charged it on a desktop, another laptop (MacBook Air), but haven't tested a PS4 yet; I assume it will work the same way.

3. rahulr macrumors regular

I don't think the PS 4 can charge it unless it has a 5w port. But I have the rMB plugged into a USB wall outlet that has a 5w port using a USB A to USB C cable. It charges the laptop very slowly when I'm not using it or when it's doing very light duty. But it does maintain a charge (i.e. the battery doesn't run down) when I'm doing regular work.

I've tried plugging it into a iPhone plug, my xbox, and another wall outlet which I don't think has the 5w, and it says "plugged in, not charging"

I also have an Anker 6500 battery pack and it will charge the laptop to full and maintain a charge, but holy crap does the battery pack run down quick.

4. spittingllama thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

Handy to know that if I need to charge (or at least power while in use) my MacBook at work, I can without carrying around the charger.