Charging sound stopped

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macmesser, Sep 3, 2013.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

My iPad 3 (ios 6.1.3) stopped making that little chirp when the charger is first plugged in. I looked in setup for anything related to sounds or alerts and found nothing I could relate to this. Restarted the thing and still no chirp when I plug it in. What could be the cause of this anomalous behavior?

Thanks for any insights.

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Bigger question, is it actually charging. If it is then it's probably just something corrupted in the software. You might want to do a restore if you haven't in a while.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

:(
    Is your iPad muted? Is your Ringer and Alerts volume turned up in Settings > Sounds? Is the Side Switch used to lock rotation or to mute?

4. macmesser, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. It is charging. I have never done a restore but if after looking a bit deeper there is no resolution I guess I'll have to. Don't use it too heavily as I'm mostly on my Mac Pro at work, but I thought it might be some kind of file corruption.

----------

Thanks for reply. It was on mute. I tried to un-mute in settings but at first did not realize I had to check Lock Rotation to do so. Weird. Checking Mute unlocks rotation and checking Lock Rotation unchecks Mute. They can't be enabled/disabled simultaneously. Any idea what's up?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's an either/or setting. You can use the switch to either lock/unlock rotation, or you can use it as a mute/unmute switch. It wouldn't make sense to have them both together, as you may not want to lock/unlock rotation at the same time you mute/unmute. They're not related functions.

6. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

What if you don't want it muted and you don't want rotation locked?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can use the switch for one and still control the other. For locking rotation when the side switch is used for muting, double-click your home button and swipe to the right to see the rotation icon. Tap it to lock or unlock. For muting/unmuting when the side switch is used for rotation locking, you can go to the same location to mute and unmute.

iPad: Understanding the side switch

8. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!