Charging speed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fille84, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Fille84 macrumors member

I have an iPhone 6 and have started to charge it using my Macbook pro with USB 3.0. From what I understand it should charge faster with the iPhone switched off but for me it charges slower when its turned off which is pretty strange. When off it charges 5% in 10 minutes while its on it charges 10% in 10 minutes. So its pretty much half the speed when switched off. Anyone know why this happens? It doesn't make any sense...

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Use the brick.

The MacBooks aren't outputting enough AMPs to charge it fast.

3. Fille84 thread starter macrumors member

Yes it does.

Like I said, it charges fast (faster than with the brick) when its on. When its off not so fast.. :)

4. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

By "off", do you mean powered right off, with the long press of the power button and swipe to shut down? Or do you mean "off", as in a quick press of the power button?

You could look into this article:
    http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-effective-charging-apple-ipad-2012

I don't know if the Macbooks will only charge devices that they recognize as an Apple device with extra juice, or if it will recognize an iPhone if it's shut right down, since I don't have a Macbook. But something to play with.

C

5. Fille84 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah powered off.

6. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I rarely turn my phone right off, unless it's to reboot it for some reason. I also don't have a MacBook. But I'm going to go with the theory that when it's turned right off, the MacBook can't tell it's an Apple product (iPhone, iPad, etc), so it reduces the power output to "normal" USB power levels, as indicated in the article. Can you look at the USB information, as described in the article?

C

7. Fille84 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, you might be right about that. This is how it looks when the phone is powered ON. When its powered OFF "iPhone" disappears from the USB-informationtab.
    [​IMG]

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My laptop doesn't have the guts to fully charge my 6S+. It creeps to around 93% and just stays there.