Charging Speed

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
I believe the iPhone will charge at a faster speed if you use an outlet with a higher current, is that correct? Example, the 12W Apple charger or a 2.4A USB receptacle vs. the small 5W charger.

Is there any way to see what speed it is charging?

I ask because using my 12W iPad charger or 2.4A USB receptacles to charge my iPhone 6S doesn't seem to charge it much faster than the little 5W cube it came with.

Last edited:

geemiller05

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
New York
Charging any iPhone with any iPad charger will decrease the time needed to charge. However, on the iPhone 8/+/X have fast charge capability. With it, you can charge one of the listed devices from 0 to 50 in about 30 minutes. 6s does not possess that ability.

Reactions: akash.nu

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
0-50% seems to not take much more than 30 minutes. It's the end that takes a while.

Is there any way to see the charge speed on the iPhone?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Charging any iPhone with any iPad charger will decrease the time needed to charge. However, on the iPhone 8/+/X have fast charge capability. With it, you can charge one of the listed devices from 0 to 50 in about 30 minutes. 6s does not possess that ability.
Not quite any, until iPhone 6 the iPhones couldn't be charged at a faster rate than what the included 1 amp adapter provided. As of iPhone 6 that increased to 2.1 amps, and as of iPhone 8 that increased considerably more to support actual "fast charging".

spoon72

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
singapore
6s can charge 50% in 30mins, I’m using 87W (I can assume 29W will do as well) with USB c to lighting cable.

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
You can purchase an in line voltage/amperage meter. You can search "usb voltage meter" on Google or Amazon and see some examples.
If I were going to do that I could use one of my Flukes. But I am just wondering if there is a way to tell charging speed from inside the iPhone.

TITNTUFF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
West Louisiana
I don't think the 12 watt charger rapid charges that iPhone. The most I've gotten out of the 12 watt charger is 1.35 amps that tapers down as the battery charges. The 5 watt cube usually starts about 0.99 amps and tapers down as the battery charges.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
I don't think the 12 watt charger rapid charges that iPhone. The most I've gotten out of the 12 watt charger is 1.35 amps that tapers down as the battery charges. The 5 watt cube usually starts about 0.99 amps and tapers down as the battery charges.
actually it does charge the phone twice the amount of the 5W in 30 minutes. there was a good video on 9to5mac