Charging the Apple TV 4 remote from the USB-C port on the Apple TV 4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bpratt88, Oct 26, 2015.

1. bpratt88 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the USB-C remote on the back of the Apple TV 4 as a charging port to charge the new remote control from? Obviously I'd need a USB-C to Lightning cable, but will the port provide the necessary power out?

thanks,
    Bob

2. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

Not sure if we'll be able to use the USB in the back of the box, but it would make sense that we would. The unit is shipping with a Lightning Cable, but doesn't indicate that it includes a block.

3. zak_the_great macrumors newbie

according to the Apple Support the remote cannot be charged by connecting it to the Apple TV USB-C port. The two options they give are connect it to the computer or use the adaptor provided with your phone / ipad

4. bpratt88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, thanks. My Apple TVs are waiting at home for me, so I'll give this a try anyway since I'll have all the bits, but I won't be too optimistic about it. I'm a little surprised, since it seems like you'd have to do extra work to provide a full USB-C port that DIDN'T energize the "power" pin.

If I get a different result (i.e. if it does work after all), I'll add to this thread.

thanks,
    Bob

5. elvisimprsntr macrumors regular

I found an Apple TV4 Easter Egg! If you use an ATV2/3 IR remote on an ATV4 and head to
    Settings -> General -> About -> Page Up, additional information will be displayed at the bottom of the About screen each time one hits Page Up.

• WiFi BSSID
    • WiFi Channel
    • Bonjour ID
    • Advertising ID

6. d-b macrumors newbie

Can you confirm that it didn't work?

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4