Charging the battery for the first time

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by idifuplease, Sep 5, 2009.

1. idifuplease macrumors newbie

i found this on apple's site

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

and was wondering if i wanted to get the best out of my computers (going to arrive soon and cant wait!!!!!!!) should i do this the very first time ? charge it fully, unplug it until it "dies", leave it and let it completely die, then charge it fully again?

some people have suggested that letting it completely die can actually have negative effect??

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Doesn't really matter when you do it, so long as you do it.

If you have a Unibody, they have a "smart battery" and won't over-discharge. The plastic models have some form of this too I believe given the instructions.

No harm will come from calibrating the battery. It is true though that if you completely discharge a rechargeable battery it may not charge back up, but with a calibration you're not completely killing it, just getting very close.

3. idifuplease thread starter macrumors newbie

oh k i never really understood that part about putting it to sleep. i thought that the battery did die eventually???

so just let it get so low it automatically shuts off? (but doesnt die) leave it abit then recharge the battery to full??

oh and has the majority come to a consensus about whether to take out the battery if its plugged or just leave it in (even if its full) if you have access to a plug?

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You don't have to worry ab the sleep part. It'll do it automatically for you.
    All you have to do is follow the steps every 4-6 weeks, in order to keep your battery active. I've had my MB for a year almost, and I've kept it plugged in 90% of the time, with consistent battery use every couple of days. The results are in the attached picture... :)
    DO NOT take out your battery if you're using AC power. It will not over charge. On the other hand if you do take it out, there have been direct links to performance loss and even damage to your CPU.
    Most of all, don't be too nit-picky :) Just ENJOY THE CRAP out of your laptop. That's what it's for!
    IF you take DECENT care of it, it'll serve you well.

Attached Files:

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

+1

Attached Files:

6. jbuk macrumors regular

The CPU automatically underclocks to 1/2 speed when the battery is removed, if that's what you mean by performance loss.

7. Vster macrumors 6502

Seems to work the best. You don't want constantly drain the battery.

8. ichiban06 macrumors regular

I have Insomniax enabled when draining the battery during calibration without it the Macbook would sleep when its low on battery but with Insomniax the Macbook can't sleep so it forces it to use the reserve power, at 0% battery I was able to play a movie for an extra 15min before it died completely.

Using this method you don't really have to wait 5hrs before you recharge the battery.