Charging the battery multiple times in one day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fondo890, Jun 24, 2009.

1. fondo890 macrumors newbie

I have read that the battery only has a certain amount of charge cycles. So say I charge my phone too 100% at night, and then after I use it in school it is at 50%, so I charge it up to 70% in the car before work. Then after work it is at 30% so I charge it up to 50% before I go out to the movies. When I get back it is at 20% and then I charge it over night back to 100% for then next day. Is that 4 charge cycles out of the 500(ish) you can get, or is that one since they aren't FULL charges? What is your experience with doing things similar to this?

(I know I won't use 30% of the battery at the movies and it may not charge 20% that fast, this is just hypothetical. :D)

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

3. fondo890 thread starter macrumors newbie

So that entire day of charge a little and discharge a little is only one full charge? That makes me feel better! Thanks!

4. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

Start the day at 0 charge cycles...

That's 20% of one cycle...

Plus 20% of one cycle...

Plus 80% of one cycle.

So in total, you've charged your battery 120% over the course of one day... that's only 1.2 out of your 500 or so charging cycles. Still, this is a pretty heavy amount of charging. If you were to do this every day, after just 15 months or so you could expect your battery performance to be significantly reduced.

5. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

where does it say the iphone battery only does 500 cycle charges before it holds less and less?

6. fondo890 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops- I just looked it up and I was actually wrong, its 400.

"Charge Cycles
    A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs."

From http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html (look on the right side)

7. camarobh macrumors 6502

Somebody smarter than me coined the phrase "ABC" for the iPhone.

Always Be Charging.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You're better off not worrying about it. I try to not keep myself worried about the battery. It'll die sooner or later but that later will probably be when I get a new phone.

9. fondo890 thread starter macrumors newbie

ABC I like that one!

And Warbrain thats true! Especially since I will probably end up getting the next iPhone to be released which will mostly likely be in about a year! I think this new battery percentage thing is also getting everyone to notice their battery more. Oh well.

10. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

You're still wrong.

At 400 full charge cycles, it should still be able to retain 80% of original capacity. So... longer than 400 full charge cycles.

11. Undispu7ed macrumors newbie

So this means that 400+ charge cycles, the battery life is basically reduced to 80% of it's original capacity? Someone clarify this for me.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Yes. It will still last for longer but you would be getting less than 80% of your original battery life.