Charging the battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yg17, Jul 14, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

quick question about charging the iphone's battery. To get the most out of it, do I need to fully charge it each time, or is it not a big deal if I just plug it in while I'm at home and unplug it as necessary regardless of whether or not it's fully charged?I don't want to have any premature battery wear. Thanks.

2. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

Yep, there's no problem doing it that way. For max use and life, once a month or so - run it all the way down and let it charge all the way up.

Mark

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

There is "no problem" doing it that way but the phone uses a lithium polymer (read that "exploding" :D) battery which doesn't need to be "trained." Do a Google for Li-Po explosions as well as check Youtube. I've been using Li-Po's in R/C Helicopters. In fact, most articles about LiPo's state they should NOT be fully discharged and should always be kept "topped off."

4. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

I used to manufacture these guys - there's a difference between running the charge down and "fully" discharged. Once a month or so, run the battery down until your unit turns off - then recharge.

Letting the unit fully discharge (as what happens with laptops that are left in storage for a month or so in sleep mode) will kill the battery as it most likely won't accept a charge again. Attempting to recover a dead battery such as this creates a lot of heat which can result in a "thermal" event. We didn't like the "fire" or "explosions" type words!

Mark

5. Sphyrna macrumors regular

Quick question as far as the life of the battery. When a battery is rated for x number of recharge cycles is that full charge cycles or any charge cycles? Meaning if I plug the iPhone into iTunes to sync something for 5 min then unplug it (it was charging during that time) does that count as a charge cycle? I'm assuming so but thought someone could clarify.