Charging The Iphone 4 Every Night

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AdamCohen13, Jun 27, 2011.

1. AdamCohen13 macrumors member

Hey guys,
    Just got my first iPhone 4 and I just have a quick question about how to charge the battery. I normally have charged every single phone I've owned at night when I get to sleep and I then proceed to take it off the charger and use it throughout the day. I have been told this may shorten the battery life on the Iphone since the battery itself only can take about 300 recharge cycles before losing its power holding capacity. If I only get the phone down to about 60-65% in a typical day's use, should I charge it once every night, or should I wait for the phone to go below, say 20%, to charge it?

What counts as a full cycle? Would charging from 0% to 100% be the same as charging from 60% to 100%?

Thanks guys!

(Sorry if this has been asked before)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

a full cycle is 0-100

60-100 counts at .4 cycle

so 60->100->40->100 would be 1 cycle and so on

3. AdamCohen13 thread starter macrumors member

So charging every night would have no effect on my battery then I assume? It may even be better so that at night I am not draining the battery while I'm sleeping and can get that battery use out later.

4. RafaT97 macrumors newbie

When a device is fully chargen it wont gain more battery so don't worry about it, charge it every night.

5. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

You are fine with charging it at night like you are doing. There is info on this topic on this forum and also on apples website. I don't have links offhand though, but i've had the same concern as you and found lots of info.

6. flipster macrumors 6502a

I charge it every other night. Usually has about 60% by the end of the day, let it run to 20% the next day.

7. AdamCohen13 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks man, just wanted someone to confirm that it won't mess the battery up. :)

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Also, the 300 cycle limit means that a flawless battery should have at least 80% of its original capacity left after 300 cycles. It won't suddenly drop after 300 cycles, the capacity goes down steadily all the time.

I need to charge my 3GS every night, otherwise I may end up with a brick in my pocket.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

They may be issue with battery calibration and battery memory in that you want to run it all the way down every now and then.

10. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

If you are a heavy user, you'll be at 10% by the end of the night and essentially have a full charge every night. Your battery won't gain a memory.

11. Genocide, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

Genocide macrumors member

Edited

12. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Are you sure you are not confusing nickel-cadium batteries with lithium ion polymer? From this link:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

13. Genocide macrumors member

14. LxHunter macrumors 6502

From Apple:

Use iPhone Regularly
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

15. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

On top of all the post above, iphone4 battery is very easy to switch out, cost $5-$6 free shipping at ebay, $10 with tools.
    Two screw for the case and one screw for the battery, here is the youtube video.