Charging the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by modelbehaviour, Sep 1, 2008.

1. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

I'll be buying an iPhone 3G in the next few weeks.....I already have a car charger and the apple USB wall charger (bought when I got an iPod mini about 3 years ago) that work with my 30GB ipod video, this might be a stupid question, but will they charge the iphone as well?

2. modelbehaviour thread starter macrumors 6502

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. Any device that provides USB power (5v) on the USB pins of the 3G will work. Firewire Power (12V) is the one that doesn't work, because Apple disconnected the pins from the battery.

TEG

4. Aj2488 macrumors regular

None of the chargers I've used for my iPod or 1st Gen. iPhone have worked on my 3G. Not the iHome, not a set of Altec Lansing iPod/1st Gen. iPhone dock speakers and not even the car charger I use for my iPod or used with the 1st gen iPhone. Kinda lame if you ask me.

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Do they by any chance provide power through the firewire interface? If so.... they definitely wont!

6. Aj2488 macrumors regular

The car charger I have uses firewire but the iHome and the Altec Lansing system do not. They are simply the unit with an AC plug.

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Seemingly both use the FW interface!

8. Aj2488 macrumors regular

Maybe on the interior of the device? Neither have a firewire port visible anywhere on the exterior... Maybe the 3G iPhone blocks some accessories in some other way in addition to firewire?

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

It does not need a firewire port. Most car chargers don't have a USB port. It's how they supply the device with power. The USB chargers use different pins than the firewire chargers, as well as different voltages. Apple has notified manufacturers that it will be discontinuing allowing their devices to charge through the firewire connectors, yet not all manufacturers have heeded the warning. Now with the iPhone 3G, Apple has completely removed it from the device causing any accessory that uses the firewire pins to charge to not work.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I went to the Apple store today to get a car charger. The third party one my wife has for her original iPhone triggers the "not supported" message, but it still charges her phone. I was too chicken to leave it plugged into the 3G so I don't know if it would have worked.

I was surprised that there are only third party car chargers (no Apple). The salesguy told me that people were having problems and that I should wait. I did see a charger that was simply a USB socket. It would allow you to use the cable that comes with the 3G. Next trip to the store I'll buy one and see how it works.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I had a Griffin Car Charger that doesn't work with the 3G.

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you're talking about the Griffin PowerJolt, I have that one and it works perfectly for the iPhone 3G. I bought mine from the Apple Store online. It has a USB port that allows almost any USB device to charge. It also comes with a cable that you can use to sync your iPhone if you forget your cable at home or something. Very useful.

13. USB charger macrumors newbie

USB charger

Maybe,if your charger is original of apple,the output is 5V1A,it's ok for iphone 3G.But it's decided by your charger quality if it's for ipod charger.
    [​IMG]

14. EliteKiller macrumors member