Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doctor pangloss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Thailand
I've got a 12"pb which I plug my shuffle into. I noticed that when I close the cover of the PB the amber charging light on the shuffle goes out too.
Is it still charging with cover closed?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I can't say for sure, but my guess is no. When I had my iBook, closing the lid would turn off my external mouse's optical sensor - ie. it stopped supplying power to the USB ports.

doctor pangloss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Thailand
I may have answered my own question on this today. I left the shuffle plugged into the port while charging and closed the cover of the PB. Upon my return later I found the shuffle to indicate a fully charged condition even though the amber light on the shuffle showed no indication of charging with the cover closed. I'll try it again after running the shuffle battery down a bit more.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Yeh the laptops go to sleep when their closed, and power to ports goes off.
What you can do is not to put the screen down, but set the display and HD to sleep. This saves some battery (if your not connected to the wall), and power to the ports remain on.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
An iMac is wall-powered though, so that doesn't surprise me. My G4 tower keeps the ports powered while asleep too.

Edit: No it doesn't. It turns off the mouse when I put it to sleep. My iPod will charge, but it's FireWire not USB.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Applespider said:
My 4G iPod charges while connected to my PB by firewire even when the PB is asleep (PB is plugged in though). I've never tried it with a USB cable mind you.

Mine does too, but the Shuffle connected to the USB port does not. Go Firewire! :)

doctor pangloss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Thailand
I'm pretty sure the usb port on the PB is giving charging power while asleep also.
It was confusing due to the lack of charging indication from the shuffle.

The other nifty trick I found the shuffle to do is it turns off if you unplug the headset!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Scarlet Fever said:
Yeh the laptops go to sleep when their closed, and power to ports goes off.

my mouse has a blue light that stays on while the PB is sleeping. so there is power on the usb port during sleep. my shuffle also charges overnight while my pb is sleeping.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
andiwm2003 said:
my mouse has a blue light that stays on while the PB is sleeping. so there is power on the usb port during sleep. my shuffle also charges overnight while my pb is sleeping.

My 4G iPod definitely won't charge through the USB2 ports on my Powerbook if the machine is asleep, but it will charge fine through Firewire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.